Should I retake my MCAT after my SMP program? I have a 513.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggsntoast

f262j34a01g
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT in 2018 and scored a 513. My gpa was pretty low so I completed a SMP program to bring up GPA. Now, in late May, my SMP advisor is telling me she thinks I should retake my MCAT. I am really conflicted because I am happy with my 513, and have no thoughts of attending a top-10 school. Also, I am applying this cycle (2020).

If I was to retake my MCAT, I would only begin studying, now, in early June-- which seems very late to me. However, my advisor did say that much of the Biology MCAT material was covered in the SMP program.

Should I retake my MCAT after my SMP program? If I was to take it, and update schools with my new score in August/ September would it be worth it?

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nahh, 513 is baller. Remember that retakes assume improvement, so it's like a bet in blackjack. Right now you probably have a 17 in your hands, which means a 69% (using real math) chance of busting.

Take the (metaphorical) money and run! The only reason to retake would be if schools are no longer taking an '18 MCAT, but 3 years tends to be the shelf life.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I took my MCAT in 2018 and scored a 513. My gpa was pretty low so I completed a SMP program to bring up GPA. Now, in late May, my SMP advisor is telling me she thinks I should retake my MCAT. I am really conflicted because I am happy with my 513, and have no thoughts of attending a top-10 school. Also, I am applying this cycle (2020).

If I was to retake my MCAT, I would only begin studying, now, in early June-- which seems very late to me. However, my advisor did say that much of the Biology MCAT material was covered in the SMP program.

Should I retake my MCAT after my SMP program? If I was to take it, and update schools with my new score in August/ September would it be worth it?

Any advice would be truly appreciated.
This honestly sounds like TERRIBLE advice. Realistically, how high can you possibly go? Given the fact that a 513 is more than enough for most schools, and that lots of schools average scores, you'd literally have to score around a 520 to make a meaningful difference in your application.

Also, you are correct about it being late -- if you started studying now, you'd be probably be looking at a September test date, with an October score release. For what? Maybe a 515-517 that would be averaged with your 513? In addition, adcoms on SDN have repeatedly advised that candidates who retake decent scores cause adcoms to question their judgment. Terrible advice!

Assuming your SMP fixed your GPA and your ECs are where they need to be, a 513 plus the commitment necessary to complete the SMP should put you in a great position to have a successful cycle. Good luck!!!