Medical Should I retake my MCAT before reapplying this upcoming cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a senior applying this cycle in Texas and have a 513, 3.96cGPA, and a 3.92 GPA(TMDSAS conversion). I am an Asian male. Here is my application in brief

Leadership:
PBL facilitator for one semester
Mentor in my lab
Research:
SURPs at MD Anderson and TAMU
one poster and one abstract from each
Research at my school for 2 and a half years
two posters
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
hospital volunteering in the ED for 200 hours
Shadowing- 100 hours in the Neonatal ICU
COMMUNITY SERVICE ACTIVITIES
Volunteer at a summer camp for kids with cancer= 100 hours
Volunteer at another summer camp for kids whose parents have cancer=160 hours
Food pantry- 100 hours

Unique story: Underwent therapy for leukemia from age 11-13, which basically drove me to medicine

I currently have had 3 interviews: TCU, UTMB, and Foster
I am currently waiting to hear back from them. Am on hold at TCU

Since I submitted my application I have stopped volunteering in the ED, but I am now volunteering in the pediatric cancer clinic. There is a lot more patient contact. By the time I apply, I will have 100 hours. I have shadowed a primary care physician in India for 25 hours. I have shadowed an OB-GYN for 25 hours. I will also be in a leadership position in the organization that runs a summer camp for kids whose parents have cancer. My thesis will be completed from the lab in the next few months. I am also going to be volunteering for an organization that helps kids with special needs. I will also have an abstract and a poster that I worked on with a doctor that I used to shadow.

In the case I do have to reapply, should I retake my MCAT? I would make time to study by not completing my thesis and volunteering less. Last cycle, I think it was my essays that held me back too. I guess they weren't great and the last one was turned in by the middle of July. There was pretty much a month gap between when I submitted most of my secondaries and my primary. If I dont match, I would start working on them in February. In addition, I was planning to scribe during my gap year. Is that a good idea? The other option was to take the SMP Med Sci program at TCOM, but that may be a bit extreme. I dont think I need to do more research as I have a lot already.

Thanks for the help.
IF you get rejected, it's NOT due to your MCAT. Work on interview skills instead. And add DO schools to your list.

Retaking an already good MCAT score would lead some Adcoms to question your judgement.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.