Quantcast

Medical Should I retake of Biochemistry OR Anatomy/Physiology I and II Before Applying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hello! Thank you all for your time in assisting me. I apologize for the length I wanted to provide context into why my question is important (to me).

I am currently 6 months away from starting my medical school applications and I need some course advice!
    I graduated from UC Berkeley with a 2.7 overall GPA in a biological major and have since retaken the Organic Chemistry series and newly taken Microbiology all with 4.0's while working full time as a clinical research coordinator in oncology.

Most recently I started a Biotechnology post-bacc certificate program for 1 year where I 4.0ed my first quarter (courses included Molecular biology, Molecular biology lab, Bioinformatics, and a Media/Solutions course on creating solutions required in all biotech labs). For this current quarter I am enrolled in 4 more courses for the biotech program and per the head of the department the workload is about 80% of what it was this recent quarter.

In undergrad I took both Biochemistry (received a B-) as well as Anatomy w/lab (B+/A-) and Physiology (C- in the lecture and an A- in the lab). I am currently trying to decide whether it would be a good idea to retake the Biochemistry series OR take an Anatomy/Physiology course (with the intent of getting a 4.0 in either of these). Unfortunately my schedule (starting to volunteer at two different locations - a homeless shelter and an HIV/AIDs hospice center) does not permit me to take BOTH although I know that ultimately this would be ideal.

Does anyone have any advice on which course I should lean towards? At Cal Physiology and Anatomy were split courses but at my current school where I'm doing the post-bacc a split course does not exist so although I did ALRIGHT (not great) in anatomy I do think a better physiology grade would benefit me. BUT that being said I'm not entirely sure which would be respected more for a "retake".

Any advice is welcome please :)
    All biomed coursework with C-minus or below should be retaken. Remember all retakes are included in GPA calculations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Unfortunately a split course option is not available at my current school so it would have to be a joint anatomy/physiology course.
    Hmm.. at many schools where I have worked and taught, there is an animal or human physiology course for majors that is not the split anatomy/physiology courses typically offered to nursing, health sciences, and non-majors. It is usually required before taking histology. If it is not available, then it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
    Not open for further replies.