Should I retake Organic Chem I before taking Organic Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csh123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Organic chemistry 2 it's kinda different from organic chem.1
Take organic 2 first and than later retake organic1 with different professor if you don't like him..
Independence from your gpa and mcat if you have a strong gpa and mcat till your junior year than apply if not that take it easy (no need to rush ) Your going to be fine
I understand you because I used to be in the same situation.. also ur gpa it's not that bad
study hard and you are going to be fine :)

Without a strong foundation from Ochem 1 you'll be severely disadvantaged compared to your peers in Ochem 2. Whether your low grade was the result of an overly tough professor or because of you not grasping the material well enough, I would say you might want to consider retaking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's the situation... I am going into my second semester as a sophmore and I have about a 2.8 gpa. I know I need to work on getting my gpa. I am going to retake 2 of my classes that I got Cs in and one of them is Organic Chemistry I.

The professor I took for Organic Chem is the toughest professor out of all of the other Ochem professors. I am taking him again this semester. Is it a good idea to take Organic Chemistry II this semester if I got a C in it last semester? Or should I take an easier class and just retake Organic Chemistry I with a different professor next year during the fall, then take Organic Chemistry II in the spring?

I would also like to mention that I didn't put as much work into Organic Chemistry as I could have. Is the second semester going to be harder for me since I got a C, even if I put in all the effort i can possibly put in?

Also... should I wait until after my senior year to apply to medical school so I have the best possible GPA? or should I go ahead and apply after my junior year? I feel like my gpa at best will probably be a 3.2 so I'm not too sure...

You say you didn't put in as much effort as you could've, and also that you got a C. That probably means you don't know the material very well. I would retake.

I got a C- in undergrad orgo 1 because I didn't study. I retook it this past semester (I finished my bachelors in may 2010) and got an A. I'm retaking the MCAT, so I'm studying a lot of the same orgo again and compared to the first time I studied for the MCAT, orgo makes way more sense after retaking and getting an A.

I'm the complete opposite lol.

(Quarter System)
I failed Ochem A, retook. Barely passed Ochem B.... and then I got my act together and blew Ochem C out of the water with an A and 2nd highest grade in the class.