Should I Retake Organic II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiomedeaExulans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a C in Organic II and it is an eyesore in my academic record. My science GPA is 3.81 and my overall GPA is 3.80. I had a 94 overall score on the PCAT (but only 29 in the quantitative ability section of it - ouch! - I scored at 90 or above at all the other sections). I'm applying to Midwestern (Downers Grove) and UIC.

Should I retake Organic II? If I don't, how much will it impede my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a C in Organic II and it is an eyesore in my academic record. My science GPA is 3.81 and my overall GPA is 3.80. I had a 94 overall score on the PCAT (but only 29 in the quantitative ability section of it - ouch! - I scored at 90 or above at all the other sections). I'm applying to Midwestern (Downers Grove) and UIC.

Should I retake Organic II? If I don't, how much will it impede my chances of getting in?

If there were ever ONE class that a C could be any kind of determining factor it would be Organic I or II. However, at 94/3.80, I don't think that one grade is going to torpedo your chances. My personal opinion is to let it go and move on.
I would be more concerned about the 29 in Quant than the C in Org II. Some schools have official section minimums, others unofficial. You might want to consider a retake to get that score up. That will hurt you more than a C in what is generally considered the most challenging prereq.

Last edited:

If you feel that you will personally benefit in improving your knowledge of organic chemistry, then I'd say do it, but try your hardest to get an A.

If not, then take a different class, and preferably an upper level science course.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My problem with the quantitative ability is that I just can't do math in my head even if my life depended on it. I understand the math concepts, but when it comes to solving problems and performing calculations quickly and accurately, as on the PCAT, my brain goes on strike. I studied my butt off for the PCAT, hence the good scores in other sections, but I doubt I would significantly improve on the quantitative by taking the test again. I would also risk doing worse on the other sections. So I think that if I can brush up my other weak areas, such as the C in Orgo II, they'll look the other way on that 29. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I already graduated with a bachelor's degree, I only have human anatomy left to take. What other upper-level science could I take to improve my situation?

My problem with the quantitative ability is that I just can't do math in my head even if my life depended on it. I understand the math concepts, but when it comes to solving problems and performing calculations quickly and accurately, as on the PCAT, my brain goes on strike. I studied my butt off for the PCAT, hence the good scores in other sections, but I doubt I would significantly improve on the quantitative by taking the test again. I would also risk doing worse on the other sections. So I think that if I can brush up my other weak areas, such as the C in Orgo II, they'll look the other way on that 29. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I already graduated with a bachelor's degree, I only have human anatomy left to take. What other upper-level science could I take to improve my situation?

If it is math that you want to improve, look into taking Statistics or Economics. If you want to take a different kind of upper-level science course, then look into making Molecular Cell Biology or Biochemistry.

One question though, have you taken the PCAT only once? Are you going to be sending only one set of scores to the schools you apply?

Truthfully, you are probably fine regardless. Keep in mind that just about everyone has a "weak area" on their app, but most don't have a 94 composite and a 3.80 to trump their weak spot(s).
If you think you missed out on learning the concepts in Org II, you should probable retake it anyway, and as Bob said, you should be able to get an A.

The upper level science that is usually recommended is Biochemistry. It's pretty heavy on the organic though. Another one is Physiology. I'm not sure how your school offers them, but at UALR there is an intro A&P course (I&II) and then there is a separate Mamm Anat and Mamm Physiology upper level offering. If your school is the same, take the upper level. The Intro courses are designed for nursing students and auxillary medical professions.

I don't think there's any way to study doing math in your head, and without that skill you probably won't be able to finish the quant section which is probably where the 29 came from in the first place. You must be a pretty smart person, so I wouldn't imagine you answered all the questions and still scored in the 300s. That said, if the schools your applying to doesn't have a subsection minimum, your PCAT score will be a positive on your app, not a negative. If they do have a minimum, buy yourself a set of dominoes and get a lonely friend to play with you for hours on end until you see numbers as dominoes in your head.

Good luck to you. I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I only took the PCAT once and I have one set of scores. Is there an advantage to sending in multiple sets of scores, even if you do worse the second time? (This already happened to me with the ACT back in high school. I did WORSE the second time I took it.)

I already took statistics, macroeconomics and cell biology with lab, and got As. For the human anatomy I'm going back to a community college that I went to for my first two undergraduate years. Unfortunately, biochemistry is not offered there, but physiology is an option.

I think I have a fair grasp of Organic Chem. I made up for some of the missed knowledge while studying for the PCAT. I used a whole separate study guide just for organic chem, and I actually overprepared in that area.

The bottom line is, I think I have a far better chance of getting an A in Organic II than fixing my quantitative ability score.

I just searched UIC's website but I didn't find anything about minimum scores for particular sections. On Midwestern's site it only says "[the Admissions Committee will] View component and composite PCAT scores below the 50th percentile with particular concern, although there are no minimum PCAT scores." So, I might be in trouble there.

Thanks for all the advice.

I only took the PCAT once and I have one set of scores. Is there an advantage to sending in multiple sets of scores, even if you do worse the second time? (This already happened to me with the ACT back in high school. I did WORSE the second time I took it.)

It's worth a try if your school looks at your highest PCAT. Even if it doesn't, if you show improvements on multiple sections, that's something they might consider. With only one score, they can't tell if you always struggle with a certain section, or if you can improve after studying or taking certain courses.

On the second time I took the PCAT, my composite went down by 3, but my bio score went up by 25.

I already took statistics, macroeconomics and cell biology with lab, and got As. For the human anatomy I'm going back to a community college that I went to for my first two undergraduate years. Unfortunately, biochemistry is not offered there, but physiology is an option.

I would recommend physiology then. It's usually one of the most difficult, if not THE most difficult, course in the first year. Being familiar with at least some of the topics reduces the amount of time you have to spend trying to understand something you've never heard before.

I'll take your pcat score and gpa. Those are grades I'm hoping to aim for :).
Naw your good. i wouldnt mind you being my pharmacist with those scores!

I think I have a fair grasp of Organic Chem. I made up for some of the missed knowledge while studying for the PCAT. I used a whole separate study guide just for organic chem, and I actually overprepared in that area.

The bottom line is, I think I have a far better chance of getting an A in Organic II than fixing my quantitative ability score.

I just searched UIC's website but I didn't find anything about minimum scores for particular sections. On Midwestern's site it only says "[the Admissions Committee will] View component and composite PCAT scores below the 50th percentile with particular concern, although there are no minimum PCAT scores." So, I might be in trouble there.

Thanks for all the advice.

While I'm not on the adcom for Midwestern, my guess would be that the "particular concern" for low component scores is intended to explain any separation between two similar applicants with similar average PCAT composites. If Sam has a 3.65 and a 74 comp, and Sally has a 3.62 and a 76 comp, but Sally has a 29 in Quant with a Verbal that saved her arse, but Sam has subscores all in the 60-80 range, Sam is going to win the coin flip.

I've met with two committee members and both continually harped on the comparison aspect of the admissions process. You always have to remember that there's not a "line of admittance" that you are trying to cross. There is a tug of war between you and the other applicants. That's why you can't ever get a straight answer on where you stand. It all depends on who you are up against.

If you are going to lose sleep over the C in Org II, retake it. But, I really don't think that is going to be the nail in your coffin. And if Midwestern doesn't have a minimum, the 29 quantitative score shouldn't kill you either. You really don't hear of a lot of 90+ composites with 3.8 GPA's getting denied at PCAT schools. That should tell you something.

Hello everyone... here's what ended up happening to me...

I could not get into anything other than Organic II for the fall and spring semesters due to both anatomy and physiology being full. My school has weird rules about who can register when, and these classes filled up before I could register. I ended up taking human anatomy this summer, what disqualified me from UIC.

In the meantime, Midwestern accepted me with the C on Organic II and the 29 in quantitative ability.

I aced both Organic II and human anatomy. Especially retaking Organic II has been a valuable experience. Now I feel like I really know it.

Up next... 4 years of pharmacy school, then 8723489745 years of student loan repayment.

When I took the PCAT I only actually worked out maybe 1/5 or even less of the questions on the quant section. Most of them I was able to eliminate at least 2 of the choices almost immediately because they made no sense... The few that I couldn't quickly answer by process of elimination I was usually able to work out the problem maybe halfway through and then use process of elimination...

Hello everyone... here's what ended up happening to me...

I could not get into anything other than Organic II for the fall and spring semesters due to both anatomy and physiology being full. My school has weird rules about who can register when, and these classes filled up before I could register. I ended up taking human anatomy this summer, what disqualified me from UIC.

In the meantime, Midwestern accepted me with the C on Organic II and the 29 in quantitative ability.

I aced both Organic II and human anatomy. Especially retaking Organic II has been a valuable experience. Now I feel like I really know it.

Up next... 4 years of pharmacy school, then 8723489745 years of student loan repayment.

Did they actually say you didn't meet all the requirements, or did you just not get in/not get an interview?

I received an interview offer from UIC in spring, but at that point I knew I won't be done with all my pre-requesites by the end of spring, as they require. I wrote to them explaining the situation, and I wrote that unless they would be willing to make an exception to their rules, I'll have to decline the interview. I never got any sort of response on that, so I never booked the interview. They told me before this requirement is non-negotiable, so I guess I'm not going to beg them on my knees to accept me.

I received an interview offer from UIC in spring, but at that point I knew I won't be done with all my pre-requesites by the end of spring, as they require. I wrote to them explaining the situation, and I wrote that unless they would be willing to make an exception to their rules, I'll have to decline the interview. I never got any sort of response on that, so I never booked the interview. They told me before this requirement is non-negotiable, so I guess I'm not going to beg them on my knees to accept me.

Ah, well sounds like you already know why you didn't qualify there then...

They won't make an exception for you. They are real sticklers to this rule, especially since we received 5+ fliers regarding the necessity of finishing your pre-pharm reqs by the end of the spring semester.