Should I retake prequisate courses I have AP credits in or should I take the next level up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan_00ryan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have AP credits for a lot of the prequisate classes schools require. The two I’m curious about specifically are statistics and psychology. Should I retake these courses that I have credits in for the easy A or should I try to relearn the curriculum over break and take the next level up? Im not sure if this is looked down upon?

My advisor recommended the later, but a medical student I contacted recommended the former. If it’s important to the answer, I’m a biochemistry major.

Members don't see this ad.

I have AP credits for a lot of the prequisate classes schools require. The two I’m curious about specifically are statistics and psychology. Should I retake these courses that I have credits in for the easy A or should I try to relearn the curriculum over break and take the next level up? Im not sure if this is looked down upon?

My advisor recommended the later, but a medical student I contacted recommended the former. If it’s important to the answer, I’m a biochemistry major.
???? It all depends on you. The med student is merely giving you the obvious advice that an A is better than a lower grade on a transcript if you are applying to med school. Your advisor is actually giving you academic advice.

Do you NEED an EASY A to get one? If so, retake the class with the caveat that the med schools will see the AP if it appears on your transcript (as it does at my school), so they will see the retake for the transcript puffing that it is. You would be much better off actually getting something for your tuition dollars by learning something you don't already know, but not if you can't do well in the classes.

Check how they appear on your transcript. Also, even though you are repeating same course, college teaching is not and I don't think material is 100% same as AP course.