Should I retake prerequisite math/physics/english courses, despite taking them 5+ years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phys2phys

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I am currently planning out post-bacc. courses to take in the next 2 years at a local university's extended/open school program. I graduated in 2016 with a degree in physics and minor in mathematics. By the time I would begin to apply to med. schools, 6/7 years will have elapsed. I plan to take required biology and chemistry classes, since I never took those during undergrad. Should I plan to retake some math/physics/english courses since there would be a gap in time? Should I focus more on bio, chem, o-chem for my post-bacc.? I should note that I took a freshman writing course and then an upper division french writing/composition course in my undergrad., which my university allowed me to substitute instead of English. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you look at individual medical schools. Some medical wants prerequisites to be no more than 4-6 years old, others don't care how old they are.. Then there is Goro here on SDN whose reinvention FAQ recommends that one should not repeat courses. What is your cumulative science GPA and nonscience GPA and overall GPA? Perhaps if your stats are good, just take teh MCAT and apply and see what happens? or, if you are studying for the MCAT, maybe re-take one or two of your weakest or oldest prereqs courses while preparing for the MCAT.

No, I took 9 years off didn't retake anything. Destroy the MCAT and you will get interviews

Reactions: 1 user