Medical Should I retake science classes that I got a C- in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been wondering if I should invest in retaking classes that I got a C- in during undergrad. I got a C- in general chemistry 1 and 2, a C+ in organic chemistry 1, and a C- in organic chemistry 2. I double majored in biological sciences and africana studies, cGPA being 3.5 and sGPA being 3.07. I didn't do fantastic academically, but I had a really great research opportunity in a neuro lab, a hundred hours of volunteering/shadowing, and an amazing internship working with rural doctors on maternal and neonatal health issues in Kenya. I just want to make sure my application is as well rounded as possible, so I'm debating whether it is worth spending more money retaking classes or if I should spend all my energy on my current job (medical scribing in the emergency room). Thanks so much in advance!
Yes. Some schools want a C or better

Members don't see this ad.

Great ECs aren't going to help adcomms overlook a low science GPA.

Considering that your sGPA is 3.07, perhaps it's a good thing that you need to retake any prerequisite in which you earned below a C grade. A second pass through the same material should be an easy A for you and will raise your sGPA. You'll want to take some upper-level Bio and do well in it also (if you haven't already) to demonstrate your ability to excel in science on the first go-round. Otherwise adcomms will worry that you might flounder in their challenging science-intense classes.

Thanks so much for the quick response!

1) I just graduated college, so I'll have to take these classes at a local community college or a school close by. will schools accept classes taken at a community college?
2) also, i did much better in science classes my last two years of college, getting all As and a couple Bs. my first two years were where I struggled the most, so there is definitely an upward trend there.
1) The vast majority of schools will accept CC coursework. For most of those that warn against it the concern is the the coursework won't have sufficient rigor to prepare you well for the MCAT.

You might like to review gonnif's post on Community College concerns: Are summer classes considered as competitive as semester classes?

2) An upward grade trend is always appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.