Should I Retake the Canadian DAT to Improve My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianTortoise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My DAT scores are:

AA: 22
TS: 22
Bio: 23
Chem: 21
RC: 21
PAT: 20

Would retaking the Canadian DAT improve my chances of getting into Canadian schools if I get a much better score or is it not that helpful in my case? I already applied to US schools with those scores, but was considering a retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't see how a better DAT score WOULDN'T improve your chances. But is it worth retaking with the risk of getting a lower score?

A 22AA is great. Only retake it if you're 110% sure you're going to score even higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,
My DAT scores are:

AA: 22
TS: 22
Bio: 23
Chem: 21
RC: 21
PAT: 20

Would retaking the Canadian DAT improve my chances of getting into Canadian schools if I get a much better score or is it not that helpful in my case? I already applied to US schools with those scores, but was considering a retake.
Congratulations, your scores are fantastic, what is your GPA?

Nancy

Well, I don't see how a better DAT score WOULDN'T improve your chances. But is it worth retaking with the risk of getting a lower score?

A 22AA is great. Only retake it if you're 110% sure you're going to score even higher.

I'm not as concerned because I already will be applying to the US with the old scores. Even if I do worse on the new ones the US will never know, since they are not sent automatically to my schools unless I mail them. The question is whether or not my scores now are cut out for Canadian schools that I will be applying for down the road. It's very competitive in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow canadian here. Are you in province anywhere? That could change things. If you are not in province anywhere, I would personally just sit tight with your initial scores, and hope for the best with your current applications.

Truth be told, I think the answer to this comes down to you though. Are you happy to write it again? If you are, then you don't have much to lose by re writing. However, if you don't feel like going through the stress of writing this thing again, I don't think it's worth going through the stress just for an outside chance at OOP Canadian schools. Canadian schools are wack :(

Fellow canadian here. Are you in province anywhere? That could change things. If you are not in province anywhere, I would personally just sit tight with your initial scores, and hope for the best with your current applications.

Truth be told, I think the answer to this comes down to you though. Are you happy to write it again? If you are, then you don't have much to lose by re writing. However, if you don't feel like going through the stress of writing this thing again, I don't think it's worth going through the stress just for an outside chance at OOP Canadian schools. Canadian schools are wack :(

I'm from Ontario. Even the schools in Ontario are awful for dentistry applicants. They don't even give preference for in province here. It's mainly because I have more free time now since I'm no longer in school and thought it might help to get a better score.

Ahh yes ontario is brutal...

Retaking the DAT could potentially help your chances at Toronto, but I heard the GPA needs to be super high .
I guess it comes down to your motivation/personal situation.

Best of luck my man.

Ahh yes ontario is brutal...

Retaking the DAT could potentially help your chances at Toronto, but I heard the GPA needs to be super high .
I guess it comes down to your motivation/personal situation.

Best of luck my man.

Thank you. I've decided to re-write it. In my situation there won't be much risk associated with a re-write since most schools in Canada will take the best score and not the most recent; the exception being Western.

Thank you. I've decided to re-write it. In my situation there won't be much risk associated with a re-write since most schools in Canada will take the best score and not the most recent; the exception being Western.
Solid choice. My initial plan was kind of like what you are doing. I wrote the american DAT with intentions of using it as practice for canadian DAT.

However, I still have school this coming semester, and I am just so unmotivated to write the canadian DAT in november (literally the worst time possible). Problem is, not many canadian schools accept the american one lmao . I guess I'll wait and see

Solid choice. My initial plan was kind of like what you are doing. I wrote the american DAT with intentions of using it as practice for canadian DAT.

However, I still have school this coming semester, and I am just so unmotivated to write the canadian DAT in november (literally the worst time possible). Problem is, not many canadian schools accept the american one lmao . I guess I'll wait and see

I took the American DAT as a practice for the Canadian too. I barely studied for it though. This is my second cycle of applications. The Canadian is not as hard as the American because it is paper-based. I had a hard time doing PAT on a computer screen. It was a real eye-strain I'm sure you can agree.

I took the American DAT as a practice for the Canadian too. I barely studied for it though. This is my second cycle of applications. The Canadian is not as hard as the American because it is paper-based. I had a hard time doing PAT on a computer screen. It was a real eye-strain I'm sure you can agree.
Yeah I see where you are coming from. I'm just kind of burntout right now.

By the way, sorry I was not able to help too much for your initial question (first cycle), but the premed101.com forum has alot more canadians and they may be able to help!

Come to the U.S :). You'd be welcome somewhere here with those awesome stats! You canadians need to chillllll :mad:. I'd be eliminated before I even apply if I were in Canada.