Should I Retake the CBSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zinc Fingers

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a D3 at a graded dental school. I currently rank in the top 15% of my class and my most recent CBSE score was a 201. I am only interested in 4 year programs. By the time I apply, I will only have 1 in-person externship. I have one more chance to take the CBSE this July. Should I retake it or just focus on class rank and extracurriculars? Is my score strong enough to match? Thanks in advance 🙏

Members don't see this ad.

I’d especially love to hear input from those recently on the interview trail and current residents!

Hello all!

I am a D3 at a graded dental school. I currently rank in the top 15% of my class and my most recent CBSE score was a 201. I am only interested in 4 year programs. By the time I apply, I will only have 1 in-person externship. I have one more chance to take the CBSE this July. Should I retake it or just focus on class rank and extracurriculars? Is my score strong enough to match? Thanks in advance 🙏
A 201 is a 69-70. Its a decent score, but I think scores have gone up a lot. I'm not sure what is needed these days for 4 yr programs. Others might know better. Rank in general is becoming less important as many applicants are from schools that are P/F.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Never an easy answer. If it were me in your shoes, yes I would

But if your application is rock solid, LOR are strong from oral surgeons and you have a likeable personality... apply to 50-60 programs and you will land a decent amount of interviews. Throw in some 6 years too just in case. Externships and strong letters will help an average CBSE stand out.

Scoring over a 75, I would say to apply to 30-35. The key is landing as many interviews as possible to match. With every cycle being more competitive, put yourself in the best position to match

Last edited:
Hello all!

I was on the interview trail this past cycle.

A 201 is cutting it close, ESPECIALLY if you are only applying to 4-years. Seemed like there were D4s with high 60s / low 70s who didn’t get a single interview.

Do you have a realistic probability to improve your score? Is studying really going to preclude you from keeping up with courses and externing? If you really doubt your score would improve, then obviously don’t retake. But you should give it a shot if you have the energy left in the tank.

If I were applying with a 201, and I really wanted to match straight out of school, I would apply to pretty much every program (6-years included). Seems like dental students have better chances to receive interview invites from 6-year programs. I would also prepare for heartbreak, because like I said, last cycle was brutal for people with your score. Ask yourself if the options were 6-year or try again next year, which would you take?

I was on the interview trail this past cycle.

A 201 is cutting it close, ESPECIALLY if you are only applying to 4-years. Seemed like there were D4s with high 60s / low 70s who didn’t get a single interview.

Do you have a realistic probability to improve your score? Is studying really going to preclude you from keeping up with courses and externing? If you really doubt your score would improve, then obviously don’t retake. But you should give it a shot if you have the energy left in the tank.

If I were applying with a 201, and I really wanted to match straight out of school, I would apply to pretty much every program (6-years included). Seems like dental students have better chances to receive interview invites from 6-year programs. I would also prepare for heartbreak, because like I said, last cycle was brutal for people with your score. Ask yourself if the options were 6-year or try again next year, which would you take?
Everything said here was what I saw this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Do more externships and expose yourself to the programs. You have more than enough of a score to match, , a 70 is sufficient for most 4s. The hurdle now is to convince the programs who take a few people a year to want you.

Do more externships and expose yourself to the programs. You have more than enough of a score to match, , a 70 is sufficient for most 4s. The hurdle now is to convince the programs who take a few people a year to want you.
Does externing at program X give you a higher likelihood of an interview if you leave a good impression?

Does externing at program X give you a higher likelihood of an interview if you leave a good impression?
I think it almost guarantees interviews. I interviewed at all programs I externed at.

It depends on the program. Some programs have multiple externs each week, every week. Regardless, if you make a good, memorable impression with the program director (who is the one ultimately picking who to interview), it will only help your chances of getting an interview when your application comes across his/her desk.

Last edited:
I think this past year was definitely an outlier and not an indication for things to come. Due to the pandemic, a lot of 4 year programs valued those doing intern years over people directly out of dental school. Therefore, people with even 70s weren’t getting interviews, but it was not because of there score, but because 4 year programs preferred interns. However, a lot of those same people that weren’t getting interviews to 4 year programs were getting interviews to 6 year programs.

Now that covid has calmed down, I would expect things to go back to how they used to be. Interviews will more than likely be in person for a lot of programs, externships are opening, and things are looking good in general.

I agree with @Life of Pablo. There were people who matched in the 50s and low 60s to programs, especially non-cats. I spoke to several PDs both 4 and 6 year programs and most emphasized having a likeable personality, over a high score. With many programs resuming externships and in-person interviews things will go back to normal.

If you are interested in a 4 year, I wouldn’t retake. Even with a higher score, it doesn’t guarantee you’ll get an interview if you’re not the type of applicant they’re looking for (i.e a non cat). I would focus on doing externships at the programs you want to attend. Your score is good enough to get your foot in the door. Now go and extern.