1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Should I retake the DAT with these stats?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by peterngu, May 13, 2008.

1. peterngu

peterngu Who named buffalo knives?

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everyone,
    If anyone has the time, I would greatly appreciate constructive input/criticism. I am a non-traditional student, earning a 3.03 GPA as a Biology major after 4 years at UCLA, and have completed the Health Careers Program (a post-bacc) at Harvard University with a GPA of 3.65 (after 9 courses), taking only upper-division Biology courses. I have tons of leadership experience with multiple years as president and such of my academic professional fraternity, church youth group leader, 100+ hours shadowing, 3 years research experience with polycystic kidney disease, and other extracurrics.

I have the following DAT scores.
    PAT=23 (the only score I'm proud of)
    QR=18
    RC=19
    Bio=19
    GChem=20
    OChem=19
    TSA=19
    AA=19

With schools being able see all attempts at the DAT, does anyone have input on whether I should take the DATs again? Although my scores are competitive for someone with a 3.5 GPA out of undergrad, my undergrad grades are lacking to say the least. Thanks so much!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mikeyc2040

Pre-Dental
    You'll definitely be fine with those scores. Their above average and will secure you an interview at some colleges. From there, you'll just have to be yourself and let them know what you've accomplished.

4. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    I think you have a chance if you apply to 10+ schools. Good luck!

5. peterngu

peterngu Who named buffalo knives?

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it! Any other thoughts?

6. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member

Dentist
    there is more to an app than DAT's and GPA's.
    DAT :thumbup::thumbdown:
    GPA :thumbdown:
    EC's :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i think that gives it a thumbs up for your app. now as long as you're not a crummy writer i think you'll be fine (for the PS). besides, adcoms see all attempts on the DAT, but will take the more recent one, and some will even take the best of all sections from all attempts.