Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

The Wop

Took the DAT today:

PA - 21 - 93.1 percentile
AA - 19 - 76.4
TS - 20 - 86.9
Bio - 20 - 89.5
Chem - 20 - 80.8
Orgo - 19 - 73.5
RC - 19 - 51.5
QR - 19 - 82.1

Preparation:
Did comparable (or slightly better) on Kaplan, ADA practice tests. Studied intensively for about 2 weeks before the test, on-and-off for about 2 weeks before that. Feel I could have done considerably better.

GPA:
Top 20 university
Economics and Pre-Dent major
3.55 overall
3.22 science

Extracurriculars/Experience:
A decent number of clubs/organizations/volunteer/service. Extensive medical and dental shadowing.

Schools (Michigan resident):
Michigan Detroit Mercy, Marquette, Temple, BU, Tufts, Nova, Pitt, Louisville, Maryland, Case, Nova.

Top picks: Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Marquette, ?

Sorry about the information overload! Advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, remember me? i was the one who had the same test day with u, which is today! i think you did very well, at least your scores are very balanced out...unlike mine, very scattered..i want your PAT score!

SF85tea said:
Hey, remember me? i was the one who had the same test day with u, which is today! i think you did very well, at least your scores are very balanced out...unlike mine, very scattered..i want your PAT score!

I looked are your scores. Great job! I actually thought the PAT was a piece of cake. I spent 1.5 hours at Barnes and Noble looking at the Barron's DAT guide the night before, maybe that helped. I just wish I could have broke into that "next" level with my acdemic scores. Argh. I don't want to retake it. I think I'd retake if a specific school told me I should. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude,

R U f_$%!ng joking?

YOur scores are fabulous! I'm just pissed because I have to re-take my DAT for sure, whereas your scores will definitely get you into some school.

The Wop said:
Took the DAT today:

AA - 19 - 76.4
TS - 20 - 86.9
Bio - 20 - 89.5
Chem - 20 - 80.8
Orgo - 19 - 73.5
RC - 19 - 51.5
QR - 19 - 82.1

The Wop said:
Took the DAT today:

AA - 19 - 76.4
TS - 20 - 86.9
Bio - 20 - 89.5
Chem - 20 - 80.8
Orgo - 19 - 73.5
RC - 19 - 51.5
QR - 19 - 82.1

Preparation:
Did comparable (or slightly better) on Kaplan, ADA practice tests. Studied intensively for about 2 weeks before the test, on-and-off for about 2 weeks before that. Feel I could have done considerably better.

GPA:
Top 20 university
Economics and Pre-Dent major
3.55 overall
3.22 science

Extracurriculars/Experience:
A decent number of clubs/organizations/volunteer/service. Extensive medical and dental shadowing.

Schools (Michigan resident):
Michigan Detroit Mercy, Marquette, Temple, BU, Tufts, Nova, Pitt, Louisville, Maryland, Case, Nova.

Top picks: Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Marquette, ?

Sorry about the information overload! Advice appreciated!

Great score, why retaking?? :confused:
I wish I can get those score on my 2nd DAT. :)

armorshell said:
Dude, just because like, 4 people a year post ridiculous scores on SDN doesn't mean that your scores are bad :)

I mean, the average matriculating student has a 18/18/17...

Indeed, I mean if every pre-dent had the scores which are constantly being posted on SDN than the average for every school would be about a 23AA, saying that, harvard is a 21AA. So if you do the math the average DAT scores is around an 18AA/17PAT. It just so happens that alot of students who score higher than the norm on the DAT are also members of SDN. SDN is a select group of individuals and does not represent the whole pre-dent community. I mean it takes an above average pre-dent to just find out about SDN, let alone score 20's on the DAT.

RozhonDDS said:
Indeed, I mean if every pre-dent had the scores which are constantly being posted on SDN than the average for every school would be about a 23AA, saying that, harvard is a 21AA. So if you do the math the average DAT scores is around an 18AA/17PAT. It just so happens that alot of students who score higher than the norm on the DAT are also members of SDN. SDN is a select group of individuals and does not represent the whole pre-dent community. I mean it takes an above average pre-dent to just find out about SDN, let alone score 20's on the DAT.

This is all true. I know my current score will get me in somewhere . Key word is somewhere . I'd like to go to Michigan or Marquette as my first and second choices. I think I might need something a little bit better to get in. After they receive all my materials do you think I can call them and talk to an admissions counselor? At that point it'd probably be too late. Both schools are very competitive.

The Wop said:
This is all true. I know my current score will get me in somewhere . Key word is somewhere . I'd like to go to Michigan or Marquette as my first and second choices. I think I might need something a little bit better to get in. After they receive all my materials do you think I can call them and talk to an admissions counselor? At that point it'd probably be too late. Both schools are very competitive.

Wop-- Although I do not have personal experience with Marquette (even though it is one of the schools I plan to apply to if my first few choices don't work out), I know someone who has spoken in-person with their admissions director...she says that they look for DAT scores between ranges of 16-20, with anything above being considered "awesome" and anything below "not cutting it"...the reason this person achieved this info is because he did have to retake his DAT in order to get a 16+ in PAT, as that is what the Marquette adcom told him directly...I hope this makes you feel better about your AWESOME scores--I wouldn't worry about retaking it if I were you! Worry about making some strong app. essays now! Best of luck to you!

Toothfairy08 said:
Wop-- Although I do not have personal experience with Marquette (even though it is one of the schools I plan to apply to if my first few choices don't work out), I know someone who has spoken in-person with their admissions director...she says that they look for DAT scores between ranges of 16-20, with anything above being considered "awesome" and anything below "not cutting it"...the reason this person achieved this info is because he did have to retake his DAT in order to get a 16+ in PAT, as that is what the Marquette adcom told him directly...I hope this makes you feel better about your AWESOME scores--I wouldn't worry about retaking it if I were you! Worry about making some strong app. essays now! Best of luck to you!

Wow, thanks for that info on Marquette! I'd LOVE to go there.

I've got a bit of a "post-DAT hangover"! I've watched hours of TV today and have accomplished little. It is definitely time to crank out this personal statement! Wish me luck!

The Wop said:
Wow, thanks for that info on Marquette! I'd LOVE to go there.

I've got a bit of a "post-DAT hangover"! I've watched hours of TV today and have accomplished little. It is definitely time to crank out this personal statement! Wish me luck!

Hello Everyone...
Good luck on your personal statment and application :D

I can't wait till I can say I am done with the exam and move on!
It seems like a day that is only in dreams...

I am kind of new to this and I was wondering if someone can explain to me what the "DAT Achiever" is or are?!
TopScore is the CD correct? and the blue book is the kaplan review notes and sample exams correct?
but what are those Acheivers all about?!
(also...does anyone know if the canadian topscore cd is different than the american one? I have the canadian one as I am a canadian student)...
so lost...
please someone help...
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! :)

Yo Wop great scores congrats! Ho did you score on achiever and topscore? thanks.

RockstarDMD said:
Yo Wop great scores congrats! Ho did you score on achiever and topscore? thanks.

I didn't know about Achiever/Top Score until a few days before the test. grrr. If I was more aware I would have definitely done both of them and probably scored better. Honestly, I only studied the Kaplan blue book (not the kaplan course though). That's why I feel maybe I should retest. I could sit down with Achiever/Top Score over the next 90 days and probably rock out an awesome score. I'm thinking about it, but I don't think I will.