1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Should I retake the DAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by CPS, Oct 25, 2002.

1. CPS

CPS New Member

Hi! I need some advices. I take the DAT on Oct 7, and I did really bad on PAT. I'm not sure whether I need to retake the test. The following is my score:

PAT:16
    Reading and Comprehension: 18
    Biology:28
    O.Chem:23
    G.Chem:21
    Total Science:24
    Math: 19
    If I retake the DAT, I need to wait for 90days,and I'm really afraid it will be too late for 2003 application. Please give me some advice.
    I'm a residence in California,and I really want to go to the the dental schools in California. My major is Biochem,and my Science GPA is 3.7. What is my chance of getting in?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    CPS,

You are not alone. This year many many people are doing below 19 on the PAT. The dental schools know this and I don't think you need to retake the DAT. However, it would be best if you keep in touch with the ad coms of the schools you are interested in. You have excellent stats otherwise. Good luck.

DesiDentist

4. millmm

millmm Member

No, you do not need to retake the DAT. I am in the app process right now and I know for a fact that PAT is the least important score where I am applying. I dont know about other places, but you other scores are stellar as is your GPA. Also a biochem degree is often viewed as one of the tougher science degrees to obtain (I know their all tough, but biochem in notorious). Also Ive heard from a credible source recently that the Biology subsection of the SNS is the best indicator of dental school sucess in the DAT and you got something like a 28. Dont worry, I know the Cali schools are fierce to get into, but your marks are extremely good. Additionally, why not give it a shot for the present app cycle, and if for the odd chance you are not sucessfull, then retake it. Your stats put you in a very good situation to take that risk.

5. Ranman

Ranman Member

I'd redo it because you're below the acceptance average and if you have your heart set on a particular school you should try your best to get in. Don't settle.

What's the big deal doing it again? You did well on the other sections so it's not like you have to study hard again. Maybe your visual acuity wasn't that sharp that day?!

Good luck!

6. slave4MD

slave4MD Member

My advice: Retake the DAT if you wish.

But if you retake the exam, you run the risk of getting a lower science score because you would be so pumped up about the PAT part.

If you apply to a typical dental school with your current stats , like CWR per se, you are sure to get in. Unlike some people on this board, your grades are far from pathetic and you can afford to dream that you will be a dentist.

You won't be the best but you do have a good run at the upper level dental schools.

7. nug

nug Member

Who's your credible source?

8. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dont retake it unless you have another $160 to spare. I just got back from my Columbia interview and my interviewer told me that anything above a 12 on PAT is acceptable... 2 other adcom members at another dental school told me that they dont care about PAT at all. afterall, the school's gonna train your hands to become a dentist.

9. SMDdent

SMDdent Member

Wow! Anything above a 12 is acceptable? What percentile is that? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm sure my blind turtle can get a 12. I've just never heard of such a low standard for the PAT before. Thanks for the info Qoo.

10. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SMDdent,

yea, that 12 is kinda low... however i believe that applicant also has a close to 4.0 gpa and 22+ in all other sections on dat. the 12 on pat doesnt look that bad afterall
    :)

~Qoo

11. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    oops.. i mean that ONE specific applicant has a 12pat, close to 4.0gpa and 22+ in all other sections...

the interviewer did say that anythign above a 12 is accpetable though...

sorry if i confused anybody

12. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member

The veracity of this remains to be seen, but I overheard from some folks who know a bit about the admissions strategy here at UCSF. It was mentioned that PAT and Math were weighted fairly heavily here. The reason is that one can teach anyone science (esp. in dental school, where it's just mass memorization and regurgitation). However, the visual-spatial skills and the quick analytical skills tested by the PAT and Math portions of the DAT are better indicators of "aptitude." I do not think that I'd retake the DAT if I had your scores simply because they're so favorable on most sections. Nevertheless, I think that different schools will view that PAT section differently.

And in the end, of course, this is simply not a numbers game. I know of people who gained admittance at schools such as Harvard and UCSF with lower scores than yours.

13. millmm

millmm Member

nug,

My credible source is the admissions director/coordinator where I am applying.

-out