Should I Retake the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KNorman72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of applying to graduate school. I recently took the GRE and did not do well. I scored 147 on verbal, 147 on quant, and I am still waiting for my analytical writing score. I am interested in pursuing a Master of Science in Biology, and have an undergraduate GPA of 3.3. I plan on applying to St. John's, Hofstra, NYU, and LIU Brooklyn (which does not require the GRE for admission). Each school has stated that they do not have a minimum GRE score, and I cannot find any credible information regarding the average GRE scores of accepted students. I just need advice on whether I should apply with my current GRE scores, or if I should retake the exam. If I retake the exam, I would need to do so within a month or so because application deadlines are approaching.

Members don't see this ad.

why do you want a master of science in biology? What do you want to do with the degree?

Virtually every school will say they don't have a minimum requirement but as you begin to do your homework you begin to realize that is not true. Simply because if you have a pool of applicants and most off them score in the 160's and you have a few scoring in below 150 and all things being equal who are you going to choose?

Your GRE scores are below average (below 50th percentile). I don't think a month will make a significant difference to your score but I don't now what your study habits were in preparation for the first time around. If you score the same that would even be worse.