Should I retake the MCAT again, and what are my chances at US schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProjectGemini

how to save a life
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Canadian student, who's looking for some advice for the current dillemma I face. I took MCAT in August 2006 for the first time, and got 29S (P10 V9 BS10). But since my undergraduate GPA wasn't really high (3.53 when applying for the class of 2012), I decided to retake the test and ended up with 31O (P11, V10, BS 10) in May 2007. My application process (starting from junior year summer) wasn't successful. No interview, one waitlist prior to the interview. (I applied to the only top 20 schools, because the tuition in the states is too expensive for me as an international student, and I wouldn't be able to afford most of schools unless they are better than Canadian ones).

I have started a Masters program in molecular biology (research-based) since this September, thinking my GPA might have been the biggest reason for the previous unfortunate outcome.

I have registerd for April 2009 MCAT, but I am still wondering if I should really retake this test again. I graduated from my university (one of top schools in Canada) with 3.59 (almost stright As in my senior year) and scored a second-author publication from my honours project as well. My ECs were pretty alright - heavy on the research experience, and enough hospital exposure (this summer, I spent three months shadowing doctors in my home country), being on an executive position in a couple of student clubs/school activities, participating a young scientist conference with other students from my ethnic group this summer. I made sure I spent this past summer boosting my ECs.

Now that I have to finish my MSc degree in order to be qualified to be accepted into med school, there are two year gap between now and the entering year. But I'd rather focus on my graduate studies and being actively involved in non-research based activities as well for the next two years, instead of worrying about MCAT or my undergraduate GPA all too much.

My biggest question right now is, if my current MCAT score will not hold me back from being considered in the US schools, despite me being an international applicant. And another one is, what else would I be doing now other than my Masters degree to help my chances at top 20 US schools?

Any advice will be really helpful, because I really want to be a doctor, even if I didn't get in last year. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a Canadian student, who's looking for some advice for the current dillemma I face. I took MCAT in August 2006 for the first time, and got 29S (P10 V9 BS10). But since my undergraduate GPA wasn't really high (3.53 when applying for the class of 2012), I decided to retake the test and ended up with 31O (P11, V10, BS 10) in May 2007. My application process (starting from junior year summer) wasn't successful. No interview, one waitlist prior to the interview. (I applied to the only top 20 schools, because the tuition in the states is too expensive for me as an international student, and I wouldn't be able to afford most of schools unless they are better than Canadian ones).

I have started a Masters program in molecular biology (research-based) since this September, thinking my GPA might have been the biggest reason for the previous unfortunate outcome.

I have registerd for April 2009 MCAT, but I am still wondering if I should really retake this test again. I graduated from my university (one of top schools in Canada) with 3.59 (almost stright As in my senior year) and scored a second-author publication from my honours project as well. My ECs were pretty alright - heavy on the research experience, and enough hospital exposure (this summer, I spent three months shadowing doctors in my home country), being on an executive position in a couple of student clubs/school activities, participating a young scientist conference with other students from my ethnic group this summer. I made sure I spent this past summer boosting my ECs.

Now that I have to finish my MSc degree in order to be qualified to be accepted into med school, there are two year gap between now and the entering year. But I'd rather focus on my graduate studies and being actively involved in non-research based activities as well for the next two years, instead of worrying about MCAT or my undergraduate GPA all too much.

My biggest question right now is, if my current MCAT score will not hold me back from being considered in the US schools, despite me being an international applicant. And another one is, what else would I be doing now other than my Masters degree to help my chances at top 20 US schools?

Any advice will be really helpful, because I really want to be a doctor, even if I didn't get in last year. Thank you!

I'm afraid you have three things holding you back.
1) You are international. Most schools are very picky when they accept internationals, if they do at all
2) Your GPA. It is lower than the average GPA of top 20 medical schools
3) Your MCAT. It is significantly lower than the average of top 20 medical schools, and is in fact lower than the average matriculant score.

All of these things really hurt you if you are applying to the top 20 schools. If those are the only US schools you would go to, I would suggest focusing on Canadian ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a fellow Canadian applying this cycle, I can tell you that you are gonna have a lot of trouble getting into a top 20 school with those scores.

I went to a top 5 US undergrad, decent GPA, my MCAT was in the high 30s and I have only one interview at a top 20 school thus far.

I would definitely consider applying at some low/mid tier US schools in addition to Canadian ones.

If you have any questions about applying as an international, feel free to PM me.

I'm also Canadian, and we have almost identical stats (I'll probably graduate with a 3.5 or 3.6 and I have a 31Q MCAT) and your chances of acceptance to a US med school are about as good as your chances of acceptance to a Canadian med school.

I don't know what province your coming from, but I would suggest exhausting your options at home first then shooting for mid-tier American universities (who wants to go to an Ivy anyway? There's nothing to justify that cost of tuition -- if you take a look at the Times rankings, most Canadian universities out-rank the "good" US schools anyway, so I wouldn't bother).

Your masters will help you in Canada, but not in the states -- they only care about your undergrad GPA for some reason.

Good luck!