Should I retake the MCAT if I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaxyzk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was hoping I could get some advice upon receiving my MCAT score. I received a 510 (128, 125, 126, 131). While I don't think a 510 is a bad score, my score is unbalanced and I got 513, 514, 519, 518 on my practice AAMC FLs giving a 516 average so I was pretty disappointed. I had a lot of anxiety during B/B and almost voided which is probably why that section is so much lower than my practice sections. I think if I retook I could bring that score up since my practice scores were 128-130. My CARS score felt like a huge gamble for me but I had improved from 126 on FL1 and FL2 to 130 on FL3 and 129 on FL4. I was definitely really sad to get a 125 and I'm worried I won't do better if I retake since I didn't feel like I did that bad but I will practice a lot. I'm leaning towards taking a gap year since my ECs are pretty average (lots of volunteering, leadership in one club, TA, 100 hours hospital volunteering, 1 year research), I lack clinical experience partially due to COVID, and would have to compensate for a lower MCAT score. I'm a TX ORM applicant with a 3.95 GPA so I feel like getting a high MCAT score would open a lot more doors for schools in Texas such as UTSW and McGovern. That being said, I would be happy to go to any school in Texas preferably MD. If I did retake, it would probably be in July or August, Since I now plan on taking a gap year, would it be advisable to retake the MCAT since I did quite better on my FLs if I can work on my testing anxiety or just boost up my ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say 510 and 3.95 should be good for MD programs. What you should be more worried about is your lack of clinical experience (Yes, COVID put restriction but your fellow applicants are 23-24 year-olds who had plenty of clinical experience prior to COVID).

Hello! I was hoping I could get some advice upon receiving my MCAT score. I received a 510 (128, 125, 126, 131). While I don't think a 510 is a bad score, my score is unbalanced and I got 513, 514, 519, 518 on my practice AAMC FLs giving a 516 average so I was pretty disappointed. I had a lot of anxiety during B/B and almost voided which is probably why that section is so much lower than my practice sections. I think if I retook I could bring that score up since my practice scores were 128-130. My CARS score felt like a huge gamble for me but I had improved from 126 on FL1 and FL2 to 130 on FL3 and 129 on FL4. I was definitely really sad to get a 125 and I'm worried I won't do better if I retake since I didn't feel like I did that bad but I will practice a lot. I'm leaning towards taking a gap year since my ECs are pretty average (lots of volunteering, leadership in one club, TA, 100 hours hospital volunteering, 1 year research), I lack clinical experience partially due to COVID, and would have to compensate for a lower MCAT score. I'm a TX ORM applicant with a 3.95 GPA so I feel like getting a high MCAT score would open a lot more doors for schools in Texas such as UTSW and McGovern. That being said, I would be happy to go to any school in Texas preferably MD. If I did retake, it would probably be in July or August, Since I now plan on taking a gap year, would it be advisable to retake the MCAT since I did quite better on my FLs if I can work on my testing anxiety or just boost up my ECs?
The latter
Try to do something that differentiates you from the rest
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
What tier undergrad did you get a 3.95 at? 510 is below average for all of the Texas MD schools except Rio Grande and TCU which as tiny class sizes of 55-60. 3.95 GPA is good to average for Texas schools. Texas schools REALLY care about GPA so as amazing as a 3.95 is, it is not that special in Texas.

Regardless, I would retake. Just make sure you adequately prepare for round 2...you don't have any AAMC FL's left so it is going to be much harder to know if you are scoring 515+ leading up to test day. Complete all of UWorld if you haven't already and 5+ more FL's to be safe.

Oh, also, follow the examkracker's CARS strategy to a T. That s*** works. Even if it sounds crazy, just trust the process. It got me a 131 on the real thing with only FL 1 and 2 as practice (we only had those two back in my day).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What tier undergrad did you get a 3.95 at? 510 is below average for all of the Texas MD schools except Rio Grande and TCU which as tiny class sizes of 55-60. 3.95 GPA is good to average for Texas schools. Texas schools REALLY care about GPA so as amazing as a 3.95 is, it is not that special in Texas.

Regardless, I would retake. Just make sure you adequately prepare for round 2...you don't have any AAMC FL's left so it is going to be much harder to know if you are scoring 515+ leading up to test day. Complete all of UWorld if you haven't already and 5+ more FL's to be safe.

Oh, also, follow the examkracker's CARS strategy to a T. That s*** works. Even if it sounds crazy, just trust the process. It got me a 131 on the real thing with only FL 1 and 2 as practice (we only had those two back in my day).
I will also just share that its okay to be below average!! thats half of the class.

Reactions: 1 user
I will also just share that its okay to be below average!! thats half of the class.
Only if the class score is a normal distribution does median equal mean. Most med school classes are skewed.

I can't recommend a retake. I see too many red flags in your post to think that a higher score will magically appear.

Anyone can bat .500 in batting practice; you were actually facing a live pitcher throwing fastballs.