Medical Should I retake the MCAT to apply this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the summer I took the MCAT and scored a 502. It was a balanced score with a subsection breakdown of 125/125/126/126. I was planning on retaking before this application cycle, but due to COVID-19 I am not sure if I will be able to without risking applying late. I am a white/male/MN resident and am planning on applying to around 20 schools with a mix of MD and DO. I have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA while majoring in biochem and minoring in mathematics at private institution. I have made the deans list every semester, but have gotten a 4.0 the past two semesters so there is a slight upward trend.

Here are my EC:
4 year collegiate athlete (Division3). Served as captain my senior year and part of my junior year
100 hrs nonclinical volunteering
32 hours shadowing in various specialties
150 hrs clinical volunteering. This is including a medical mission trip to Guatemala.
Did a summer fellowship in an oncology lab doing research
Selected to attend and attended a 1-week regenerative medicine workshop
Completed a senior thesis, wrote a thesis paper, and presented my findings at a local research symposium.
President of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee at my school.
Tutor- 50 hrs

A list of schools that I could be competitive at with my current score would be greatly appreciated too.

On a side note,I will be working as a scribe throughout my gap year while applying to medical school.

Thanks in advance!
If you want the MD, then yes, you need a retake and score 510+

Members don't see this ad.

How about DO schools? My GPA is higher than the average, but my MCAT is slightly lower. Am I a competitive applicant for most?
Your metrics put you in a good position for DO. Your shadowing and clinical experience hours are problematic (break down the clinical experience hours more, and discount the international mission).
  • Hospital 1 (2017-2018) - 51 hours
    • Volunteered at the Help Desk and in Hospitality. I was responsible for getting patients whatever they needed. Often, I would just be someone to talk to for them.
  • Hospital 2 (2019)- 55.5 Hours
    • Worked in the therapeutic recreation department located in Nursing home/long term care facility. Ran them through various activities every Friday evening.
International mission:
  • (2018)- 46 hours
    • Helped run a free clinic in areas that don’t have access to medical facilities. Took vitals and background information for the physician.

With my stats, any schools that you see I would be competitive at?

Here is my current list:
Des Moines
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville COM
Marian University COM
Rocky Vista University COM
Philadelphia COM
Lake Erie COM
KCUCOM- Kansas City
KCUCOM- Joplin
Liberty
MD state schools ( U of M and U of M Duluth)
I can't recommend LUCOM. ADD: Both AR schools, LECOM-B, all VCOMs, except LA, PCOM-GA, NYITCOM, TUNCOM, KYCOM, ACOM, WVSOM

One last question, I know there is speculation that with Step 1 going P/F it might be harder for DOs to get into residency programs because residencies might look at the school attended more.
I don't buy this for a second. Most of the people making this argument seem to be projecting their anxieties and inferiority issues at having had to go DO. Our wise SDN residents and attendings say they'll simply used Step 2 as a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.