This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!
For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.
- What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
- What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
- State/Country of residence (optional):
- Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
- Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
- Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
- Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
- Do you know/think you can do better?
- Scores <495
- Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
- if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
- if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
- if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
- if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
- if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
- if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
- if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
- if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
- if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
- if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
- if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
- if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread