Should I retake the MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanDawg_4

Reaction score
I had T30 goals, 3.83 cumulative and 3.82 science gpa, upward trend (4.0 my junior and senior years), 1,000 hours research, 1,000 hours volunteer work, 200 hours clinical work and counting, a first author publication and 2 co-authors
Not an URM but I have Type 1 Diabetes, not sure if that is a disability
On my AAMC Practice tests I was averaging a 517-518

512 on the real MCAT. I'm feeling crushed. I know I can do way better than that, I really let test day anxiety get to me.
Should I retake, and send new score to schools? I am worried it is too late in the cycle for that.
Do I retake and wait until next cycle?
Or do I suck it up and accept that I will (hopefully) still get into medical school even if it is not at a caliber of school I was aiming for? I was hoping to pursue some more competitive specialities, but also know I'd be a doctor in 4 years regardless where I go

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry you scored below your goal; that sucks. However, given the timing and general uncertainty of the cycle, I think it’s best if you adjust your school list and focus on getting in. You might not drastically improve upon retake and if that happens the time and energy spent to prep for the retake could have been better spent on secondaries and interview prep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Sorry you scored below your goal; that sucks. However, given the timing and general uncertainty of the cycle, I think it’s best if you adjust your school list and focus on getting in. You might not drastically improve upon retake and if that happens spending the time and energy to prep for the retake could have been better spent on secondaries and interview prep.

Thank you, I'll focus on getting in!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had T30 goals, 3.83 cumulative and 3.82 science gpa, upward trend (4.0 my junior and senior years), 1,000 hours research, 1,000 hours volunteer work, 200 hours clinical work and counting, a first author publication and 2 co-authors
Not an URM but I have Type 1 Diabetes, not sure if that is a disability
On my AAMC Practice tests I was averaging a 517-518

512 on the real MCAT. I'm feeling crushed. I know I can do way better than that, I really let test day anxiety get to me.
Should I retake, and send new score to schools? I am worried it is too late in the cycle for that.
Do I retake and wait until next cycle?
Or do I suck it up and accept that I will (hopefully) still get into medical school even if it is not at a caliber of school I was aiming for? I was hoping to pursue some more competitive specialities, but also know I'd be a doctor in 4 years regardless where I go
Nope. You're still competitive for many fine schools.

You can still get into uber-specialties even if you go to Albany or Drexel.

Or are you not going to be a doctor if you can't get into the 40 odd schools that are in the "T30"?

Reactions: 4 users
Nope. You're still competitive for many fine schools.

You can still get into uber-specialties even if you go to Albany or Drexel.

Or are you not going to be a doctor if you can't get into the 40 odd schools that are in the "T30"?

Nope, you're absolutely right at the end of the day I will still be a doctor. Thank you. Just worried that with Step 1 being pass/fail it will make it harder to match competitively if I go to a smaller school. Any validity to this? I am not 100% sure how this stuff works.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, you're absolutely right at the end of the day I will still be a doctor. Thank you. Just worried that with Step 1 being pass/fail it will make it harder to match competitively if I go to a smaller school. Any validity to this? I am not 100% sure how this stuff works.
Step 2 will be the screening tool soon

Step 2 will be the screening tool soon

I understand that Step 1 scores had a high correlation to MCAT scores.

Is the same true of Step 2 scores?

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that Step 1 scores had a high correlation to MCAT scores.

Is the same true of Step 2 scores?

In my 20 years of experience, it has been Step 2 scores as well as getting Honors on the core 3rd year med school clinical rotations that has correlated with success as a Radiology resident in our program. Lots of people get high Step 1 scores, but if we had their Step 2 scores and there was a significant drop or very few Honors (and yes we do know which schools are harder to get Honors or conversely the schools which give half the class Honors) then they are less likely to get interviewed at my institution.

Yes, I do believe that doing well on the more clinically oriented Step 2 exam will be very, very important in the future for the NRMP!!

In my 20 years of experience, it has been Step 2 scores as well as getting Honors on the core 3rd year med school clinical rotations that has correlated with success as a Radiology resident in our program. Lots of people get high Step 1 scores, but if we had their Step 2 scores and there was a significant drop or very few Honors (and yes we do know which schools are harder to get Honors or conversely the schools which give half the class Honors) then they are less likely to get interviewed at my institution.

Yes, I do believe that doing well on the more clinically oriented Step 2 exam will be very, very important in the future for the NRMP!!
Also, once you are in medical school/graduate, I do NOT care what your MCAT score was. And once you are already a resident I forget who is AOA and who isn't.... Yes there are hurdles, but at the end of the day I just want to work with a smart, caring, emotionally intelligent team player as a resident and possible future colleague!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Depending on the region you live in your state school might also be highly ranked and easier to get in than private schools. Just some light at the end of the tunnel