Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSonic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I took the MCAT last summer and got a 29. Verbal: 11, Bio: 10, Phys: 8. I didn't apply last year because I needed to show continued improvement in my grades, so I entered a post-bac. My undergrad Science GPA was 3.16. However, in my last two semesters I had a 3.72 GPA taking only upper level science classes (19 credits, then 17 credits). I have a 3.7 GPA in my first semester of the post-bac. I've had people ask me why I want to take it again, and I spoke with an admissions committee member from VCU/MCV one-on-one who looked at all my credentials and said I would be competitive there. However, it seems to me reaching 30 is important and if I buckle down I know I can get around a 34. Should I go ahead and take it again? If I do, I was considered the June 21st or July 6th dates.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With such a low GPA, I'd definitely retake. You should take a practice test right now (or run through EK in a week and then take one), see how you do and then you'll know how much time you need to hit your desired score!

Realize that improving your mcat will not cancel out your gpa, although it will improve your overall application.

If you think that you can prepare more and do much better this time mcat, then yes, retake. Hopefully you still have some AAMC's that you can use to judge yourself, but if not you could use full lengths from a test prep company. However, if you're retaking to only go from a 29 to a 30, I think you should instead focus on getting your application out early. That might be a bigger factor to getting you accepted than raising your mcat 1 point.

If you can maintain that same verbal score, you can definitely improve BS by 2-3 points and PS by 3-4 points, meaning that you can score a 34+. You can do it! Read the 30+ MCAT Study Habits sticky for materials to use in addition to methods of preparation.