Should i retake the sat's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futureeyedocgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do optometry schools require you to send in your SAT scores? I took mine junior year of high school and did not do too well on them. I noticed that for SUNY they want you to send in your SAT scores. Not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, SUNY does but unless you have above a 3.35 GPA and above a 320 on the OAT, I wouldn't bother re-taking it b/c you prob won't get in anyway. (average matriculant GPA is 3.5) I mean they'll still see your first score anyway and they'll ask why you re-took it on the interview possibly. Personally, I wouldn't bother I would just rock the OAT.

I didn't even take the SATs in high school (I started school at CC in my early twenties). Hopefully this isn't a handicap.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many times are you allowed to take the OAT? I know they are offered every 3 months.

How many times are you allowed to take the OAT? I know they are offered every 3 months.

You can take the OAT whenever you want (whenever there is a spot open at a testing center). They offer tests 5 days a week. Once you take it, you have to wait 90 days to take it again. You can take it as many times as you want, but ALL scores are submitted to schools (you can't pick which set goes). Admissions offices will start to question you if you take it more than 2 times. You are much better off doing a free Kaplan practice test rather than taking the official one over and over, since the Kaplan ones are not reported to Opt schools obviously. If you pay for the course, you get 5 full-length practice tests. That's what I did and only ended up taking the official OAT once, since I knew what to expect going into it. I did push my test date back once because I didn't feel ready for it and didn't want to have to retest.

Do optometry schools require you to send in your SAT scores? I took mine junior year of high school and did not do too well on them. I noticed that for SUNY they want you to send in your SAT scores. Not sure what to do.

I don't even think the College Board (in charge of the SAT) would let you take it again at this point. I'm pretty sure the rules regulate an age cut-off and certainly a cut-off once you're a college student already.

I also think it really doesn't matter what your SAT scores were if you do well on college stuff. I think they want to get a longer history of you as a student. SCCO wants your high school transcript. I think that's kind of silly. But regardless, if you have a fine GPA and OAT score, then no low SAT score will keep you from getting into a school.