Should I retake this thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRslp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the PCAT at least 5 times. My previous scores have steadily increased each time. However, this time, I went from a 61 overall to an 86 overall. Here's the breakdown:

Verbal 87
Biology 90
Reading 43 :oops: (Don't know what happened here)
Quantitative 82
Chemistry 91

Composite 86 :D

Writing 2 :oops: (Again, not sure what happened here)

I'm not illiterate. I can read and write. I have a Masters degree in another healthcare related field.

Obviously I'm not happy with the writing and reading sections, but overall I'm absolutely thrilled with my score! In your opinion, should I retake this thing again? Or is this good enough to be competitive?

Thanks,
GR

Members don't see this ad.

you r good to go. Don't waste time and effort in retaking the test. I have seen people who got into the program with 50 composite. Your score is way competitive.

Just apply to the school(s).

Good luck :thumbup:

It's better to get a 43 on reading than either the science sections or the math section if you had to get that score.:)

From my experience with reading sections on standardized tests, sometimes I got lucky and I get passages that "click". Sometimes I got unlucky by drawing passages that stumped me for some time. Generally, the latter has happened more times than the former.

I think that you are find. If you can read well enough to understand chemistry and biology material to result in 90+ percentiles on the PCAT, then I don't think it's too big of a deal that you have a 43 reading. Of course, avoid schools with mandatory subsection scores.

To be honest, the composite score is the only one that matters to most programs. Even the ones that say they want you to have subsection minimums will accept people who have below the minimums if the rest of their application is good. I made 37 in reading the first time (87 overall) then 44 in verbal the second time (91 overall) and was admitted to all the programs I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you have a decent gpa. My composite was an 84 and my reading section was a 60 something and I have gotten into the schools that I have applied to.

Thanks y'all. That's kinda what I was thinking myself. GPA is 3.8