Should I Retake Unbalanced 32?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amalfi.aqua

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Total: 32
PS: 10
VR:9
BS:13

Even though this is a decent score, I'm on the fence about retaking. My AAMC verbal average was 11.5; I was consistently scoring 12's on the AAMC tests. Conversely, my AAMC biology score was consistently an 11. The 13 seems like a lucky fluke. The unbalanced score is unsettling.

I had a full-time internship this summer so I don't think I did this test justice. Virtually all of the practice I did was the AAMC tests; I barely looked my TPRH workbooks and didn't really practice verbal because I was doing so well on the AAMC tests.

My winter break will be almost 2 months long so I can fully devote my time to studying. I don't know if I want to though; the whole ordeal is psychologically exhausting.

I'm a TX resident applying next cycle and I really want to go to school in Houston or Dallas. That means BCM, UTSW, or UTH. I could live with UTMB or A&M. I really don't want to go to Texas Tech (Lubbock or El Pas0).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Your score is good. Retaking will put you at risk for doing worse.

Considering you hardly studied the first time around...sure, if you really want to. Sounds like youre naturally smart...

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with your dilemma is that you are likely to drop to 11 (maybe even lower) on your retake. And if you score a 12 on your VR, will you make another thread saying "should I retake cuz unbalanced bio".

You are RIGHT AT THE MEDIAN for all the TX schools except UTSW. But I know several people who had low 30 scores and made it into UTSW with great ECs, strong PS, and of course, by nailing the interviews.

And btw don't write off Lubbock so easily. I visited Lubbock earlier this spring and the environment is absolutely amazing. Don't discount any school before even visiting them.

Thank you for your input, texan2414. I've actually lived in west Texas before and I've visited Lubbock a few times. My family is in the Houston area so I'd rather not live 10+ hours away.

I wasn't ready for how calculation heavy/insane the PS was on my test. That's where I think I messed up -- I didn't practice enough PS and I got burned. I think that rattled my confidence on verbal.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards cutting my losses and moving on with my life. The MCAT is a miserable experience and I want to enjoy my winter break. Maybe I'd even be better served by going to a middle tier Texas school in a smaller city. Houston/Dallas traffic stresses me out!

Hey,

MCAT will not be a problem for you at all. Try to enrich your extracurricular experiences so you can talk about them @ interviews. This is what may give you an acceptance at UTSW/Baylor despite having a lower than avg MCAT score.
UT Houston should not be a problem for you. Their median accepted score for past 3 years has consistently been 31-33. You are an excellent fit by MCAT-wise.