1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Should I Retake Unbalanced 32?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by texas20, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. texas20

texas20 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Total: 32
    PS: 10
    VR:9
    BS:13

Even though this is a decent score, I'm on the fence about retaking. My AAMC verbal average was 11.5; I was consistently scoring 12's on the AAMC tests. Conversely, my AAMC biology score was consistently an 11. The 13 seems like a lucky fluke. The unbalanced score is unsettling.

I had a full-time internship this summer so I don't think I did this test justice. Virtually all of the practice I did was the AAMC tests; I barely looked my TPRH workbooks and didn't really practice verbal because I was doing so well on the AAMC tests.

My winter break will be almost 2 months long so I can fully devote my time to studying. I don't know if I want to though; the whole ordeal is psychologically exhausting.

I'm a TX resident applying next cycle and I really want to go to school in Houston or Dallas. That means BCM, UTSW, or UTH. I could live with UTMB or A&M. I really don't want to go to Texas Tech (Lubbock or El Pas0).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Make Or Break

Make Or Break 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No. Your score is balanced enough.

4. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    No. Your score is good. Retaking will put you at risk for doing worse.

5. csx

csx 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Considering you hardly studied the first time around...sure, if you really want to. Sounds like youre naturally smart...

6. texas20

texas20 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    bump!

7. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    The problem with your dilemma is that you are likely to drop to 11 (maybe even lower) on your retake. And if you score a 12 on your VR, will you make another thread saying "should I retake cuz unbalanced bio".

You are RIGHT AT THE MEDIAN for all the TX schools except UTSW. But I know several people who had low 30 scores and made it into UTSW with great ECs, strong PS, and of course, by nailing the interviews.

8. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

And btw don't write off Lubbock so easily. I visited Lubbock earlier this spring and the environment is absolutely amazing. Don't discount any school before even visiting them.

9. texas20

texas20 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you for your input, texan2414. I've actually lived in west Texas before and I've visited Lubbock a few times. My family is in the Houston area so I'd rather not live 10+ hours away.

I wasn't ready for how calculation heavy/insane the PS was on my test. That's where I think I messed up -- I didn't practice enough PS and I got burned. I think that rattled my confidence on verbal.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards cutting my losses and moving on with my life. The MCAT is a miserable experience and I want to enjoy my winter break. Maybe I'd even be better served by going to a middle tier Texas school in a smaller city. Houston/Dallas traffic stresses me out!

10. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

Hey,

MCAT will not be a problem for you at all. Try to enrich your extracurricular experiences so you can talk about them @ interviews. This is what may give you an acceptance at UTSW/Baylor despite having a lower than avg MCAT score.
    UT Houston should not be a problem for you. Their median accepted score for past 3 years has consistently been 31-33. You are an excellent fit by MCAT-wise.

11. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is your GPA?

12. texas20

texas20 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3.86 … should be 3.91 by the time I apply. BCPM is currently 3.8; should also go up a little

13. pepocho

pepocho 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 04.11.16

About the ads