Medical Should I retake upper-division classes I got Ds in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing a DIY post bacc at the university I did my undergrad at. There were 3 upper division, science classes that I got Ds in.
I should retake those, right?

Could you help us: which upper-level science classes? Why did you get D's? How long ago?

In general, I would say you have to retake D's, especially if you are trying to gain credibility with your science coursework before starting professional school. You already will get penalized with your application GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing a DIY post bacc at the university I did my undergrad at. There were 3 upper division, science classes that I got Ds in.

I should retake those, right?

I’ve read some posts on SDN recommending only repeating pre-reqs and taking upperdiv, science courses we haven’t taken before.
1. Genetics
2. Cardiovascular physiology
3. Neurobiology of addictive drugs

I got these Ds because I lost a parent while in undergrad. I kept trying to push through undergrad and was emotionally distressed. I should have taken time off or maybe taken a lighter load of classes but I didn’t. I know I can get As in them now as this was in 2015. I’ve really worked on myself emotionally and spiritually and have come to terms with losing my loved one.
As these are all med school-relevant classes, I feel you should retake them. Also take some original upper-level science courses, as well, to demonstrate you can do just as well with the first pass through difficult material.

Status
Not open for further replies.