Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcplastrin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this will be my second time applying. I applied two years ago and have my DAT scores from back then (Bio 18, OC & GC 20, QR 21, RC 23, PAT 25) and I'm trying to decide if I should retake the DAT? I just started restudying but I feel more confident (at least in bio) because the first time I took I hadn't had a single bio class. I'm just wondering if it is worth it to retake?

I haven't scheduled the test so I'm not sure when I would even be able to retake the test (I think it would be at least 2 months from now?) and I'm a bit concerned that with my current situation (working and possibly moving in the near future) that I won't be able to actually invest much time into studying and I don't want to do worse in any subject. I have a 3.3 GPA.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should not retake , the scores for me personally look good. But i know some schools have some type of timeline for DAT scores , I think it is around the 2 year mark so I would look into that to see if you would actually be forced to retake

I think you should not retake , the scores for me personally look good. But i know some schools have some type of timeline for DAT scores , I think it is around the 2 year mark so I would look into that to see if you would actually be forced to retake
Would I have to just call each school individually to see how old of a score they accept? Should I acknowledge that in my interim year I've taken some additional biology and chemistry courses?

I dont know I still havent taken my DAT so I cant tell you. Maybe call the first 3 schools your interested in to get a feel for the response, and tell them when you took your DAT and ask if they would accept a score from that year or if you would need a more current score?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So this will be my second time applying. I applied two years ago and have my DAT scores from back then (Bio 18, OC & GC 20, QR 21, RC 23, PAT 25) and I'm trying to decide if I should retake the DAT? I just started restudying but I feel more confident (at least in bio) because the first time I took I hadn't had a single bio class. I'm just wondering if it is worth it to retake?

I haven't scheduled the test so I'm not sure when I would even be able to retake the test (I think it would be at least 2 months from now?) and I'm a bit concerned that with my current situation (working and possibly moving in the near future) that I won't be able to actually invest much time into studying and I don't want to do worse in any subject. I have a 3.3 GPA.

Any advice?

Hmmm it depends on the program you are applying to. Your scores look good but BIO seems a bit low. I'm retaking personally. The scores I got today were (AA 19/ TS 19/ Bio 17/ GC 19/ OC 20/ PAT 19/ RC 23/ QR 17) and I have a 3.44 gpa. The program I wanna get into though is super competitive (3.6 gpa 25AA). I would say retake cuz ur scores are kind of getting old. Fresh improved scores = high chance for interviews! Good luck

Hmmm it depends on the program you are applying to. Your scores look good but BIO seems a bit low. I'm retaking personally. The scores I got today were (AA 19/ TS 19/ Bio 17/ GC 19/ OC 20/ PAT 19/ RC 23/ QR 17) and I have a 3.44 gpa. The program I wanna get into though is super competitive (3.6 gpa 25AA). I would say retake cuz ur scores are kind of getting old. Fresh improved scores = high chance for interviews! Good luck
Yeah that is what I was thinking. When I applied the first time I got 5 interview out of 13 schools and waitlisted at 2 schools but no acceptances and I don't want to have to go through that again. I'm kind of applying to all sorts of schools. My top choice is temple or columbia. I was waitlisted at temple before so IDK if reapplying with the same scores would be bad though.

Also GL to you in your application=3

Last edited:
Yeah that is what I was thinking. When I applied the first time I got 5 interview out of 13 schools and waitlisted at 2 schools but no acceptances and I don't want to have to go through that again. I'm kind of applying to all sorts of schools. My top choice is temple or columbia. I was waitlisted at temple before so IDK if reapplying with the same scores would be bad though.
Yeah generally they wanna see improvement in reapplicants. Wth I say take it. Just make sure u prep properly and ur bound to do better. Any classes left to bring gpa up?

Yeah generally they wanna see improvement in reapplicants. Wth I say take it. Just make sure u prep properly and ur bound to do better. Any classes left to bring gpa up?
Unfortunately no. The thing is the first time I applied I didn't have a GPA because the school I went to didn't use a normal grading scale. And the only reason my GPA was so low is because I got a C in a class fall semester but I retook it last semester. I think I'll look into scheduling it tomorrow. If I could get a date at like early august or late july that'd be good and I could just power study for the next month but I'm worried if I take too long to take the DAT it'll just effect my application being considered.

Btw gl to you in your application, since I added that to my last post a bit after first responding=)

What program do you need a 25AA to get into?
Lol okay maybe not a 25AA stats for D1s say 20+ but I wanna compensate for slightly lower GPAs. Also getting more ECs and shadowing. I had to deal w/ some deaths in the family my sophomore year and my grades suffered
Unfortunately no. The thing is the first time I applied I didn't have a GPA because the school I went to didn't use a normal grading scale. And the only reason my GPA was so low is because I got a C in a class fall semester but I retook it last semester. I think I'll look into scheduling it tomorrow. If I could get a date at like early august or late july that'd be good and I could just power study for the next month but I'm worried if I take too long to take the DAT it'll just effect my application being considered.

Btw gl to you in your application, since I added that to my last post a bit after first responding=)
yeah if you are trying to apply this cycle I would take it sooner rather than later. Also try and see if u can get some amazing LORs. I'm not applying till next cycle but thanks! Good luck to you too