kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I'm planning on talking to the Dean of the medical school but I wanted to see what you guys would do.

I'm currently a Duke undergrad with decent grades and MCAT and good extracurriculars (3.7~ 3.4~ Science) with a 37S. (11V, 13P, 13B). I'm a Washington State resident and I really want to go to UWSOM. Do I have a decent enough shot that I'm not throwing away valuable in preparing apps for other schools?

LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Hiding in your closet
Status
Attending Physician
I don't think UDub has an EDP. I worked there for 2 years and applied in 2004. I don't remember them having an EDP at the time.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go there? The in-state tuition is definitely a plus, but the med students that I met when I interviewed seemed miserable. One student actually advised me not to go to UW, after I had expressed an interest in public health. Certainly not a good way to sell your school, if you ask me. Also, the admissions staff seemed rather arrogant...one of the staff members commented how they had finally "put together a presentation to sell UW to interviewees", but said so jokingly, as if there was no reason to do it in the first place. I thought this was funny, seeing as how other "top schools" really and truly try to pitch their school to you on interview day. It made UW come off as arrogant. I didn't like that.

That being said, there are parts of the UW package that are very desirable. The interview day just left a bad taste in my mouth...that's all. But I'm curious to know if they do have an EDP!

PS...you will automatically be granted an interview if you have above a 3.5 and some # on your MCAT (maybe a 30?) and are in-state. You will certainly get an interview, even if they don't have an EDP. Unless they did away with this system.

OP
kevster2001

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
LadyWolverine said:
I don't think UDub has an EDP. I worked there for 2 years and applied in 2004. I don't remember them having an EDP at the time.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to go there? The in-state tuition is definitely a plus, but the med students that I met when I interviewed seemed miserable. One student actually advised me not to go to UW, after I had expressed an interest in public health. Certainly not a good way to sell your school, if you ask me. Also, the admissions staff seemed rather arrogant...one of the staff members commented how they had finally "put together a presentation to sell UW to interviewees", but said so jokingly, as if there was no reason to do it in the first place. I thought this was funny, seeing as how other "top schools" really and truly try to pitch their school to you on interview day. It made UW come off as arrogant. I didn't like that.

That being said, there are parts of the UW package that are very desirable. The interview day just left a bad taste in my mouth...that's all. But I'm curious to know if they do have an EDP!

PS...you will automatically be granted an interview if you have above a 3.5 and some # on your MCAT (maybe a 30?) and are in-state. You will certainly get an interview, even if they don't have an EDP. Unless they did away with this system.
Ah it appears you are right, I just too a closer look at UW's website and indeed they dont have a EDP.

I have a friend that's in UWSOM right now and she loves the experience. The school itself is great and I like their emphasis on primary care. Another thing is I love Seattle and all it has to offer.

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kevster2001 said:
I'm planning on talking to the Dean of the medical school but I wanted to see what you guys would do.

I'm currently a Duke undergrad with decent grades and MCAT and good extracurriculars (3.7~ 3.4~ Science) with a 37S. (11V, 13P, 13B). I'm a Washington State resident and I really want to go to UWSOM. Do I have a decent enough shot that I'm not throwing away valuable in preparing apps for other schools?
I applied early decision and it was terrific. I really don't know why more people don't do it. I hope you are referring to next year's application cycle!? Our EDP program had a deadline in August or July. We were interviewed in late September, and found out the next day. Plenty of time to submit other applications if I needed to. Luckily, I didn't need to!

EDP programs usually have cutoffs that are closer to the averages for their matriculants. I expect that UWSOM's average matriculant MCAT is not higher than 31 or 32.......
wait. I just checked out this website:
http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education/MDProgram/Admissions/FAQ.htm
you will notice that
the MCAT average is 31.5 (so you are in good shape there)
there is no EDP for UWSOM
So you can EDP elsewhere or stop worrying about it!

Good luck!

N1DERL&

HP4!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
zzzzz
Status
What are the risks of EDP?

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
N1DERL& said:
What are the risks of EDP?
If the school is unethical, they would treat you differently with respect to scholarships. (Since you have to enroll, they don't have to give you money to attract or keep you).
I decided to EDP because I wanted the chance of knowing yes or no from my favorite school by Oct 1. Some people see this as a liability if you don't get into the school you EDP with, since you will be submitting applications to other schools rather late in the game. (after Oct 1.)

Does anyone know if you can EDP AND apply to other schools (nonEDP) in August?

That would be the best way to go if you don't mind application fees...