missmissouri

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
I am a sophomore this year, and yesterday I received an email that I am eligible to rush Phi Sigma Pi at my university. I think the organization seems really neat and I'm sure they do a lot of good stuff, however I have a young child at home and so my time is limited. I want to be involved on campus but only in ways that really matter to me. As far as my application goes I am slightly concerned about my extracurriculars, but I'm not the type of person who is going to start joining things just to join them. I have been shadowing regularly, and I am about to be trained to be a volunteer at a pregnancy center where I can work with young moms in peer counseling and tutor them for the HiSet (GED) exam.

Anyway, does it mean a lot to be in an academic fraternity? I love my classes and I love being surrounded by people who are motivated like me, however I don't want to end up committed to something that I discover doesn't mean a lot to me, like helping other teenage moms does.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Don't feel pressured to join a group just because you can. The best ECs are those that are meaningful to you and make the most of your particular interests and gifts.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am a sophomore this year, and yesterday I received an email that I am eligible to rush Phi Sigma Pi at my university. I think the organization seems really neat and I'm sure they do a lot of good stuff, however I have a young child at home and so my time is limited. I want to be involved on campus but only in ways that really matter to me. As far as my application goes I am slightly concerned about my extracurriculars, but I'm not the type of person who is going to start joining things just to join them. I have been shadowing regularly, and I am about to be trained to be a volunteer at a pregnancy center where I can work with young moms in peer counseling and tutor them for the HiSet (GED) exam.

Anyway, does it mean a lot to be in an academic fraternity? I love my classes and I love being surrounded by people who are motivated like me, however I don't want to end up committed to something that I discover doesn't mean a lot to me, like helping other teenage moms does.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sounds like you're pursuing really meaningful ECs right now. Only join that fraternity if you feel you would enjoy your time there. For what it's worth, I had several pre med friends who join honors/business frats and ended up feeling like it was a waste of their time. Only you can decide what to do though.

About the Ads