Should I save practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SephirothXR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have AAMC 4, 5, 6, and 11 left to take. I take my MCAT August 23rd. My practice tests have gone up (20 (no prep at all), 29, 31, 30, 32). I like taking these tests but I've heard of people saying that you should take practice tests in the two weeks leading up to your test (every other day, but don't burn out). Should I wait an entire month to take these or is it fine to take these now? I've taken 2 Kaplan Tests and have one Princeton Review test but don't know where I'd get any more practice tests to keep my mind fresh in MCAT mode. I have TBR passages and EK101 (working through them now) but I always learn most from AAMC tests. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Stop using up practice tests. You should have waited until about a month before your test date to start using them. Since you've used most of the better AAMC FLs, it would be best if you picked up some of BR's tests. Also, if those Kaplan and TPR tests are their old written tests, they aren't going to be too helpful.

For me at least it only made sense to apply the new strategies that I developed (which worked) to these tests. At this point I guess I will have to wait until August to start taking these. What about AAMC 11 though? I hear this is the most representative but I also hear people saying don't take it as your last one b/c it can be a blow to your confidence since it's a lot harder. Do you have any specific advice as to when I should take that one (or it won't matter)?

You should apply test taking strategies to practice passages, not FLs. Take AAMC #11 last, a few days before your test date, so you have time to review it and take a break day.

For some people, it wouldn't matter when they took AAMC #11; if they didn't do as well as they want, they'd get stressed out. Don't worry too much if you score slightly lower on one test. Find out why you did worse and fix it.