Should I save some med school reqs for after I transfer? (regional state school to top 40)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted826437

Hello all,

I am a rising sophomore attending a low-tier regional state school. I am no longer happy with my current school academically and will be applying for a junior transfer spot at a few schools in the USNWR's top 20-40. With that in mind, how should I fill up these next two semesters pre-transfer?
I am aware of the stigma associated with taking pre-med courses at a community college and am worried about that same stigma applying to my low-tier university. Technically, I could have all of my med school requirements done before I transfer (with a ~3.9 GPA). Do you think doing so would put me at a disadvantage come application time? If so, would waiting on a few of them help?

Completed: Calc 1, Stats, Gen Bio 1,2,3, Gen Chem 1,2
Planning for next year: s1- orgo 1 and physics 1(alg), s2- orgo 2 and physics 2 (maybe genetics)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to try and save your prereqs for the new school, go ahead and take them there at your current university. Do well in upper level courses at the new school, and do well on the MCAT, and you will not be disadvantaged at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I am aware of the stigma associated with taking pre-med courses at a community college and am worried about that same stigma applying to my low-tier university.

I think you may be making a mistake. Your current school is likely fine for med schools. Transferring to a higher ranked school could produce a few negatives:

1) a lower GPA
2) you won't be a star there
3) you will have a harder time getting the best LORs because the profs won't know you as well as th others.
4) you will have a harder time getting any research positions. You'll be competing against the students who've been there since freshman year.

There is a 5th negative, if you hadn't planned on doing a gap year. If you transfer, you will almost have to take a gap year.

How lowly ranked is your current school?

What is your current science and cum GPA?

I went to a cheap state school. Not even the main campus, I don't regret a thing. CHEAP tuition, loved it.