should i send an update letter before an interview offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvd200e

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. i am currently debating whether to send a letter informing some schools of a new job i just took up during my glide year and also express continued interest in them. i currently have one acceptance though not at my top choice.
the schools which i am considering writing to are all in the "top 15", so i guess it is very likely my letter will be tossed aside considering i have been complete at these schools for 2.5 months and i would hope my file has been reviewed by now.
should i wait longer before sending these letters? do they even have an impact? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dvd200e said:
hello everyone. i am currently debating whether to send a letter informing some schools of a new job i just took up during my glide year and also express continued interest in them. i currently have one acceptance though not at my top choice.
the schools which i am considering writing to are all in the "top 15", so i guess it is very likely my letter will be tossed aside considering i have been complete at these schools for 2.5 months and i would hope my file has been reviewed by now.
should i wait longer before sending these letters? do they even have an impact? thanks!

I definitely think that you should send them an update and take it as an opportunity to express interest or update them on anything else. Make sure it's brief though. They show motivation too.

thanks alot me3, i think i will go ahead and write them. i suppose if they have already put my file aside after reviewing it a letter cant hurt...now i just have to figure out how to word the letters so as to make myself stand out without sounding desperate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you e-mail them or actually send out a letter? I had a similar problem and simply e-mailed them. On Mayo was kind enough to write back and say that they would make a note on my application. No one else responded.

dvd200e said:
thanks alot me3, i think i will go ahead and write them. i suppose if they have already put my file aside after reviewing it a letter cant hurt...now i just have to figure out how to word the letters so as to make myself stand out without sounding desperate!

texaninphilly said:
Will you e-mail them or actually send out a letter? I had a similar problem and simply e-mailed them. On Mayo was kind enough to write back and say that they would make a note on my application. No one else responded.

is that a good sign or a bad sign? should one expect a response? do any schools look down on this?

texaninphilly said:

I am also thinking about sending updates pre-interview. Definitely mail a letter though, because you wan't something that the assistant that opens it can put in your file.

definitely a snail mail letter as well. hopefully by some miracle my letters will actually reach the dean himself. i just need to think of something to say that will actually make him/her remember my name after reading the letter!

does anyone know how the update letter will work? if my file has already been reviewed and i was not given an interview...have i already been rejected and they are just waiting to send the letter to me? or will my update cause my file to be re-reviewed??