Medical Should I send an update/letter of interest to top choice school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application to my top choice was complete late July, I still have not heard anything even though there have been quite a few pre-II Rs. I don’t have much to update on—I started a new job less than a month before submitting my secondary so I had included that in my secondary update. I could give more details about what I do/connect it back to the school but otherwise nothing of note to report. Still, I’m super interested in the school and am wondering if I should do something. I definitely would want to go here if accepted (afraid to send a letter of intent though dependent on cost of this school vs other options). Should I send a letter of interest/update or just be patient?
Be patient. Everyone is interested. You sending a letter saying you’re interested or that you have a job won’t change anything. Patience.

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate your thoughts! I’ve noticed in the forum that multiple students have mentioned being offered an II after sending an update letter. Could it be beneficial just to get them to re-review my app? Is there a point when I should send one if I haven’t heard anything?
In all the admissions processes I've been involved with, an update letter has made no difference, and it is very rare to see anyone re-reading an application. If anything, multiple people should read your application, thus it is very difficult to move people away from a consensus impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotes are a hell of a drug.

Correlation=/=causation. Most of those students likely would have gotten an II regardless of the update, and are mostly done because it treats the applicant's anxiety of feeling like they have no power in the process. The handful where the update made the difference frankly probably had a more substantial event than you have described.

I appreciate all of your feedback. I will just be patient!
I guess think of it like this...do you think the Adcom is sitting there thinking..I really wanna accept them but they need 50 more hours of volunteer.

Or I really wanna accept them but I wish they had a job in X.

Most
Likely not gonna change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.