Medical Should I send an update letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research for a few years full time (a few thousand hours). On my AMCAS primary, I listed this as a research entry under activities. For hours here, I put "0". I also did not indicate anywhere in the description that it was a full time job, but they can see that I spent a few years there. On some of my secondary apps, they might be able to assume that it was a full time job.

When I wrote the primary application, I was thinking that since I worked more than full time (often came in on weekends and late nights), I couldn't quantify the hours. I thought putting "0" would be fine. I saw it as the same as putting "9999" to indicate that the hours couldn't be quantified. I also had additional research from undergrad in a separate activity entry, and also put "0" there because I felt that I couldn't quantify the hours.

I was recently rejected from a school, and they offered me feedback. The screener for my application asked me why I put "0" for these entries, and I explained my reasoning. They said it was fine, and they still knew that I did the research. Still, this was one of their questions for me. I don't think this was a major reason why I was rejected, but maybe it contributed and was confusing?

They explained some of their screening process to me, and from what it sounded like, they would have liked the hours to see my time breakdown in experiences between leadership, community service, clinical experience, research, etc.

Do you think it would be in my best interest to send out an update to all of my schools correcting the hour counts for these activities from my AMCAS primary application so that I get credit for them? I could just estimate an hour count based on full-time hours.

I'm just not sure, because I know there are people that say there are some things that do/don't warrant an update.

And if I send an update for this, I might as well tell them about the new clinical job that I just started a few weeks ago. I explained on a number of secondary applications that I was in the process of interviewing for the job, but now I can say that I officially have it.
It can't hurt, as long as you target those schools that accept updates.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright thanks. I'll look through my schools to see which accept updates. Would you consider this an egregious error that would warrant contacting the schools that don't normally accept updates to let them know about the error?
Why draw attention to a negative? It WAs your responsibility to fill in the info correctly the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, thanks for your feedback. I have one more question. For my update, I'm giving them the estimated total hours. I had a research activity section on my AMCAS application that included multiple different research experiences. A few of them could be quantified in hour totals, and a few were through my University and gave me academic credits. Do you think it's alright to tell them the hour totals for the non-credit ones, and then just say that the academic one gave me academic course credits? The academic course credit one was my least meaningful research experience, it'd be hardest to quantify those hours (other than by telling them I received credits)

I would just estimate the hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.