Should I send an update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceHielo

Reaction score
After completing my secondary applications the biggest update that has happened so far has been completing a two-month training program to become a suicide hotline volunteer. Besides now volunteering as a hotline operator I have continued work as a PCA (nursing assistant) and volunteering at habitat for humanity which I talked about in secondaries/primary application. I signed an agreement saying that I would complete at least 6 hours a week of volunteering for the next 6 months. My actual time working the hotline at this time is about 20 hours (with the additional 20 hours of training) and so far it's been an incredibly enriching experience. Is this enough of an activity to warrant sending schools an update or have I not been with the program long enough? If so would I include how many hours I have completed as well as how many I am projected to complete by the time of matriculation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't send an update, especially if you might have talked about the training in secondaries. Even if you didn't, you can bring it up on interview day. One of my friends who is a resident gave me this advice: don't update on something unless it's what you want to stake your reputation on. For example, I asked him if I should update schools after getting an acknowledgement (not an authorship) in a paper our group recently published, and he told me that I probably wouldn't want adcoms thinking that the most I have to offer is an acknowledgement and that it was best I just leave my application as it is. That, I think, was really good advice. Generally, med schools only care about updates if you won a national award (think, like, BIG DEAL) or if you have gotten first authorship on a published paper. If it's not one of those, then it's probably best to let your application speak for itself.

n=1, but I sent the schools that I'm applying 1 letter every 6 to 8 weeks. Mind you, I'm a PhD student who is defending soon, so I'm publishing my papers (recently got 1 first-author pub) and pretty involved in school (i.e. giving lectures, organizing student engagement events, science outreach, teaching assistant etc), so my updates have followed a constant theme. I also wrote a blurb reflecting on those experiences and how they will help me as a prospective MD student. In addition, I take the letter as an opportunity to comment on the school's programs, opportunities, and any accomplishments they've had. Just my .02.

Members don't see this ad :)
n=1, but I sent the schools that I'm applying 1 letter every 6 to 8 weeks. Mind you, I'm a PhD student who is defending soon, so I'm publishing my papers (recently got 1 first-author pub) and pretty involved in school (i.e. giving lectures, organizing student engagement events, science outreach, teaching assistant etc), so my updates have followed a constant theme. I also wrote a blurb reflecting on those experiences and how they will help me as a prospective MD student. In addition, I take the letter as an opportunity to comment on the school's programs, opportunities, and any accomplishments they've had. Just my .02.
Sending a letter every 6-8 weeks is extremely atypical.

Reactions: 1 user
After completing my secondary applications the biggest update that has happened so far has been completing a two-month training program to become a suicide hotline volunteer. Besides now volunteering as a hotline operator I have continued work as a PCA (nursing assistant) and volunteering at habitat for humanity which I talked about in secondaries/primary application. I signed an agreement saying that I would complete at least 6 hours a week of volunteering for the next 6 months. My actual time working the hotline at this time is about 20 hours (with the additional 20 hours of training) and so far it's been an incredibly enriching experience. Is this enough of an activity to warrant sending schools an update or have I not been with the program long enough? If so would I include how many hours I have completed as well as how many I am projected to complete by the time of matriculation? Thanks!
Don't waste their time or yours

Reactions: 1 users