should i sit the exam?!?!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i got my step 2ck in 2 wks.....did the nbme and scored 430 (199), and avg 57% on USMLE World....plus, i am applying for the match, so delaying may affect my application......WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!?!

GL

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

i got my step 2ck in 2 wks.....did the nbme and scored 430 (199), and avg 57% on USMLE World....plus, i am applying for the match, so delaying may affect my application......WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!?!

GL

study your a$$ off for the next two weeks?

I only took a little over two weeks to study for it and did so intensely and I thought this was sufficent.

Pay more attention to your standing relative to other UW users than the actual score. If you score average, expect an average CK score. More, expect more. A lot less, be concerned about passing.

For example, I was consistently about 1% higher than average, and my overall stayed at the 50th percentile. My CK score - almost exactly the mean.

You can raise your score in 2 weeks if you work hard. Your best bet - I agree, submit now & select no, go balls out for 2 weeks, and pray.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't submit your usmle transcript - how can you expect to get interviews? That is one of the first things they look at.:confused:

you can submit your Step 1 score and CS if you took it and by clicking "no" for the automatic resubmit question, you'll be able to see your CK score before it gets sent to programs....otherwise they may get it before you do

you can submit your Step 1 score and CS if you took it and by clicking "no" for the automatic resubmit question, you'll be able to see your CK score before it gets sent to programs....otherwise they may get it before you do

I never knew this. How do I just submit my step 1 and cs score? Do I have to send it manually? I didn't see that option on the application.

I never knew this. How do I just submit my step 1 and cs score? Do I have to send it manually? I didn't see that option on the application.

on ERAS, it will ask you two questions:

1) "do you want to transmit your USMLE transcript to the programs you applied to." Answering yes to this will give them all scores from all tests that you have taken so far.

2) "do you want to AUTOMATICALLY RETRANSMIT scores for any tests that you have not yet taken or scores that are pending at the time of submitting your ERAS app.? Answering yes to this will automatically retransmit any new scores to your programs when they become available.

Everyone clicks "yes" for question number one. This is how programs select you for interviews.

Some people will advise you to click "no" for number two for several reasons. If you have not taken Step 2 before submitting your ERAS app, then you take it and fail or do poorly, choosing not to retransmit scores will prevent progams from seeing that. This allows your Step 1 scores to "carry" your application, garnering you some interviews that you likely would not have gotten if those programs knew ahead of time that you failed Step 2. (Of course, they will find out eventually, but the hope is that you still get the interview and are thus allowed a chance to explain why you failed or let your "sparkling personality" convince them to rank you despite your scores.) Another reason some people advise against retransmission of scores, is that in previous years, scores were always transmitted electronically to schools and residency programs but were sent by snail mail to students. This allowed programs to know your scores before you did, which could be a nasty surprise if you were out of town on an interview when scores were released. This is no longer such a big deal since scores are now posted on the internet for the student to view instead of being sent through the mail.

on ERAS, it will ask you two questions:

1) "do you want to transmit your USMLE transcript to the programs you applied to." Answering yes to this will give them all scores from all tests that you have taken so far.

2) "do you want to AUTOMATICALLY RETRANSMIT scores for any tests that you have not yet taken or scores that are pending at the time of submitting your ERAS app.? Answering yes to this will automatically retransmit any new scores to your programs when they become available.

Everyone clicks "yes" for question number one. This is how programs select you for interviews.

Some people will advise you to click "no" for number two for several reasons. If you have not taken Step 2 before submitting your ERAS app, then you take it and fail or do poorly, choosing not to retransmit scores will prevent progams from seeing that. This allows your Step 1 scores to "carry" your application, garnering you some interviews that you likely would not have gotten if those programs knew ahead of time that you failed Step 2. (Of course, they will find out eventually, but the hope is that you still get the interview and are thus allowed a chance to explain why you failed or let your "sparkling personality" convince them to rank you despite your scores.) Another reason some people advise against retransmission of scores, is that in previous years, scores were always transmitted electronically to schools and residency programs but were sent by snail mail to students. This allowed programs to know your scores before you did, which could be a nasty surprise if you were out of town on an interview when scores were released. This is no longer such a big deal since scores are now posted on the internet for the student to view instead of being sent through the mail.

Wow! Thank you so much for the VERY detailed explanation. I really appreciate your help.

Doctor doctor,
according to UW-Ck formula u will score at least a 215... but then again i still have no idea how accurate that formula is... NBME i dont really trust for CK....

that my friend is a garbage formula...which has worked for a select few individuals. I failed step 2 ..scoring a 48% on UW. According to that formula i should have scored at least over 182. i failed with a 157. So please do not trust the formula. I think UW is a great tool..use it as a learning tool more so then a tool to indicate how well you will do. Make notes from your wrong answers ..work on your weakness and do take an NBME at the end to see if your at least passing range.

that my friend is a garbage formula...which has worked for a select few individuals. I failed step 2 ..scoring a 48% on UW. According to that formula i should have scored at least over 182. i failed with a 157. So please do not trust the formula. I think UW is a great tool..use it as a learning tool more so then a tool to indicate how well you will do. Make notes from your wrong answers ..work on your weakness and do take an NBME at the end to see if your at least passing range.

but the nbme is no good either. for step 1 it was dead on for me and my friends. now with the same set of people, the step 2 ck score was not as accurate this time around for the nbme tests........don't really know why?

i hate to admit it, but my first ck attempt i had a 51% on uw, and ended up with a 160 on the real deal.. ugh
so now 9 months later i am hitiing 64% halfway through but i fear i may recognize a few q's. was gong to hit the nbme this weekend but now not sure?