Should I spend the extra money to live within walking distance of campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.-.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
... or pay less to live 20 minutes away?

I'd be saving about $36k, but I feel like I'd have less fun. Also quick access to our labs would be nice.

Members don't see this ad.

it costs you 1.5k/month more to live near the school? or 36k more/4 years?

IDK, you have to consider extra parking fees, driving costs, time spent driving compared to studying over 20m more or that could be spent with family. I'd prefer to live closer but that's just me (coming from someone that lives 15 min drive away and pays 4 bucks/day to park after carpooling)

Well my current rent is around $250, and rent within walking distance would be $1000

so:
+$750 x 12 months x 4 years, which came out to $36,000.

That cheap $250 rent comes from living with roommates, but I really think I'd like to have my own place during school.

The thought of being able to walk to school sounds reeeeeaaaally nice though

Members don't see this ad :)
What about splitting the difference ? Maybe live close for the first 2 years when you are at the school all of the time, and then roommates the last 2 years. Or vice versa?

Reactions: 1 user
Why not grab one roomate and live close to the school. Perhaps another dental student.

Last edited:
How close is the library? If it's close by, then living 20min away may not be such a bad idea given the savings. You could just study at the library after class to avoid rush hours and to work on lab stuff before calling it a day.

Library is just across the street from the school also. But I've looked into it a little more and I think I can find an apartment for marginally more ($200) or a roommate to split one of the $1,000 apartments.

One can save a ton of money if one can order one's life to live without a car.

Reactions: 1 user