Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I stay an undergrad longer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mnemosyne, May 20, 2000.

1. Mnemosyne

Mnemosyne Junior Member

I am a Junior but I just graduated from high school last Spring. I will be a senior after the fall semester and will be able to Graduate in 1-1/2 to 2 years.. in 3 years instead of 4. I was thinking of staying in an undergrad for the extra year though even though I'll be finished with my degree requirements. I was also considering going to graduate school before applying to medical school. I am taking some graduate courses this fall anyway... but they will be upper level restricted electives for my degree.
    So, which should I do?
    Graduate when I'm done or
    Stay an extra year?

Will these choices have any negative effects on getting into med school?

Also, I've heard that being a science especially biology related major can actually handicap you a little in the competition for med school. I'm Molecular and Microbiology but I was originally Music (piano) with a biology minor.

Any help?

Mnemosyne

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you can swing it financially and mentally, I'd advise you to stick in school.

A big part of what med schools consider at the interview stage is maturity, and if you're younger than those you're competing against, a LOT more is expected of you. It sounds like academically you're doing great, and will likely do well on the MCAT... but what things are you interested in that you haven't explored yet? Is there anything you can take to make med school easier or to round you out academically, or as a person? I'd push for the extra year if you can do it, and make it as personally meaningful as you can.