Should I Stay or Quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irfansamad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently towards the end of my first year at a very well known Caribbean med school. My overall first year grade so far is 78%; might go up to 79% or 80% after this semester's final exam.
Unfortunately, I ended up taking Leave of Absence (LOA) twice for academic reasons and repeated a whole year.
Given my current situation, will I be able to match somewhere if I manage to do way better in my second year, get decent Step 1 score and do good in clinical years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently towards the end of my first year at a very well known Caribbean med school. My overall first year grade so far is 78%; might go up to 79% or 80% after this semester's final exam.
Unfortunately, I ended up taking Leave of Absence (LOA) twice for academic reasons and repeated a whole year.
Given my current situation, will I be able to match somewhere if I manage to do way better in my second year, get decent Step 1 score and do good in clinical years?
Are you an american? Why did you go the carrib instead of america? What academic reasons give you anLOA? How do you guarantee they don’t repeat? Is it one of the “big 4” schools?