Should I still APPLY this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horns2001

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I want to apply to dental schools now, but i have an uneasy feeling. See I am almost done with my application, it will take another week or so to finish it. However I have yet to take the DAT, and the rate i'm studying for it, I won't be ready to take it until late September at the earliest(I have only studied QR,RC,and OC so far, but not BIO,gen chem, and perceptual yet). I think that will be too late won't it? I have a tough summer school class i'm taking now and that is what is slowing my studying for the DAT down. My grades aren't too impressive. I have a ~2.9 overall and ~2.9 science w/a slight downward trend from communtiy college to UCLA. I think that if I dont' apply at the earliest time and have my DAT scores in early as well, that I don't have a chance to get in to any schools that I am applying to -NYU,Boston,Tufts,Loma Linda. Should I just apply now and hopefully take the DAT late September/Early October and then send those scores in right away(just go for it)?Or should I just not rush and instead just apply next year and not feel so rushed to study and take the DAT and also take a few extra classes to bring my GPA up?What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

horns,

there is a reason why all schools say as early as possible...it really helps! since most schools are on a rolling admissions policy, they look at applications as soon as they come in...so, the earlier you apply the 'easier' it is to get noticed and asked for an interview. If your GPA was higher and you'd already taken the DAT, then I'd say no, it's not too late, go ahead. BUT, even w/a 2.9 at UCLA and DAT still down the road, you are better off waiting till next year. Like you said, this isn't a process you want to rush through, you want to do it a time when you can devote your full attention to every detail. Stick w/your summer class and bring up your GPA to over a 3 at least by next year. Study for the DAT over the spring and take it then or early summer, then apply. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but why potentially go through the headache of applying twice when you can focus, do well, and get it over with once? Plus, if schools won't be getting your DAT scores until sept. or so, that means it'll be oct. by the time you get secondaries. You'll be looking at post-Jan. interviews which is when most slots have already been filled. So...don't rush....a year probably seems verrry long, but think of how much less stressed you'll be next year when you'll have a chance to apply early w/better gpa and good DAT scores.

good luck!

I agree. Don't give up though and work really hard at the DAT and upping that GPA. I really think it's sheer hard work and a strong belief in themselves regardless of stats that gets people into dental and medical programs these days. Really though, I do wish you all the best.

MDP

Well guys thanx for posting your replies...I think you are right and that I should apply next year and not go through the stress of applying twice. I should really concentrate on studying for the DAT and taking it next spring and have my app early next June. Plus I will take a couple xtra science classes to boost my GPA too-