Should I still apply to dental school.with my DAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wldowns88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT and I had a lot of trouble with the time limits. I fell like I knew the information but was forced to do a fair amount of random guessing because I ran out of time. My scores were:
PS 17
QR 16
RC 18
B 18
GC 18
OC 17
Total science 17
Academic average 17

I know my scores are pretty low but I was planning on trying to get into a school in AZ and the two schools average DAT scores are about 18.5. My overall Gpa is 3.56 and science Gpa is 3.50. Should I re-take the DAT? If I do re- take it I cannot do it for three months and that is pretty close to the end of the application period.

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the DAT and I had a lot of trouble with the time limits. I fell like I knew the information but was forced to do a fair amount of random guessing because I ran out of time. My scores were:
PS 17
QR 16
RC 18
B 18
GC 18
OC 17
Total science 17
Academic average 17

I know my scores are pretty low but I was planning on trying to get into a school in AZ and the two schools average DAT scores are about 18.5. My overall Gpa is 3.56 and science Gpa is 3.50. Should I re-take the DAT? If I do re- take it I cannot do it for three months and that is pretty close to the end of the application period.

I mean you could retake but I would also apply as well. That score may get you into Arizona...don't wait for your scores to send in your app. See what you get into and then if you don't then plan accordingly! Good blessings

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say apply. I mean people get in every year with low DAT scores. I'm in the same boat as you. If I don't get in anywhere I'll retake and apply next year :)

its not common, but people DO get in with ur DAT scores.

If you have the money, apply AND prepare for the retake. Otherwise, just go with retake and apply after new scores

You seriously never know with these schools, I say apply.

Post below.

Last edited:
And to the op, I honestly dont think that you'd be competitive for this cycle. Retake ASAP though while the material is more fresh

To the OP, I honestly think that you may be able to land some interviews at some schools, espcially the AZ schools if you have extra curriculars. I would probably consider a retake if you don't hear anything this cycle, but I would probably give it a shot with your scores so you don't delay your application. Remember, if a school's DAT average is a 19, then most likely they have 17's and 21's mixed in there. Just my thoughts.

To the OP, I honestly think that you may be able to land some interviews at some schools, espcially the AZ schools if you have extra curriculars. I would probably consider a retake if you don't hear anything this cycle, but I would probably give it a shot with your scores so you don't delay your application. Remember, if a school's DAT average is a 19, then most likely they have 17's and 21's mixed in there. Just my thoughts.

You know how to calculate average! and even though you might think i am making fun of your statement, am not. I totally agree with you, thats why i would say to also apply! Your GPA is above average, go for it!

Good Luck!

I believe you're wasting your time with that DAT score, but there's really no harm in applying to two schools this cycle. I would start studying for the DAT now, though, so you can be ready for a retake if you don't hear back. You don't want to sit around this entire cycle, get rejected, then not have improved your application for the next cycle. Best of luck.:thumbup:

Last edited:
PS 17
QR 16
RC 18
B 18
GC 18
OC 17
Total science 17
Academic average 17

Maybe you just didn't take enough practice tests to get a feel for the timing, but as with any test if you DO know the material well then it shouldn't take you the entire time allotted to at least take an educated guess (as opposed to your random guessing). Like others said I would apply to a few schools and see what happens but start studying again and do a retake.

Your GPA shows that you have the capability to succeed. Retake the DAT and get a minimum 19 TS, AA, and you should be good to go..Have faith in yourself!