should i still apply to dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamloverXx

over the rainbow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i am a biology major and i really want to pursue my career as a dentist.
however my gpa is only 2.6, which is really low.
i still have 1 more semester to go and maybe it can raise my gpa a little but but i dont think it's gonna help a lot
i have 2 years of experience as a dental assistant
i havent taken the DAT yet but i dont know if i should even bother taking it.
what do you guys think?
do you guys think i might have a chance if I get a good DAT score?
did anybody get into dental schools with a low gpa?
what are some other factors that might help me to obtain a better chance of getting into dental schools?
please help me!!! please... :(

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of people that get into Dental Schools w/low grades...but Im afraid a GPA of below 3 is not enough...maybe you should try retaking some of the courses or you could possibly pursue a Masters Degree. Additionally, you could also make your application better by doing research, community work etc. Good-luck!!!

hi i am a biology major and i really want to pursue my career as a dentist.
however my gpa is only 2.6, which is really low.
i still have 1 more semester to go and maybe it can raise my gpa a little but but i dont think it's gonna help a lot
i have 2 years of experience as a dental assistant
i havent taken the DAT yet but i dont know if i should even bother taking it.
what do you guys think?
do you guys think i might have a chance if I get a good DAT score?
did anybody get into dental schools with a low gpa?
what are some other factors that might help me to obtain a better chance of getting into dental schools?
please help me!!! please... :(

start by getting As your last semester. then apply for a post bacc or masters program so you can boost your GPA. also you will also need to really do well on the DAT. it will take another few years until you will be able to apply and stand a chance. its a long road but if you really want to be a dentist, you need to work hard to get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll advice you to go through a special masters program, you might even have to spend more than a year trying to get that GPA to a nice 3.3. Gdluck

There are some things you could take into consideration:

1) Does your school allow you to retake courses and completely replace the grades or do they (like my school) just average them and show that you had to retake them?

-Retake the classes and make A's on them (mostly the required science classes), if they are critical classes you have scored poorly on then you should retake even if your school only averages them.

2) Devote a SIGNIFICANT amount of time to studying for the DAT and do impeccably well. You CAN do this, standardized tests are the fastest way to show you're a competitive candidate compared to everyone else and requires that you just figure out how to study and that you put the time in. Performing well forces the reviewers to question why the discrepancy between GPA and DAT. They can't compare your GPA with someone else's as easily.

3) Think hard about why your GPA is like that and take steps to remove the causes while you're taking more classes. You may also use this to defend yourself if questioned why your GPA is low. There's always a reason: family crisis, health problems, depression, dramatic shift in lifestyle...life is not always peachy keen and neither are your grades because of that. Many administrators understand this, but they must ensure that you are capable of doing the work. You must prove that you are capable, and you're grades are independent of your capabilities and dependent on other aspects.

My story has been that I had a low gpa my first couple years but came back to have 4.0/3.8 gpas the following semesters, did well in upper division sciences and scored well in science on the DAT (AA 22), all while volunteering 250+ hours at a dental clinic over the course of a year. Now I've been accepted. I have also known others in worse shape than I who have gotten in. It can be done! In fact, working against the odds makes for a good personal statement! Make something special out of your experiences - don't let yourself be defined by numbers!

Take heart and we'll see you on the other side!
-ck