should I still apply

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sadgirl79, Oct 18, 2002.

1. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok so what d'ya think guys:
    Female
    3.75 GPA
    Non -Ivy Undergrad
    Research experience (including a summer at Harvard)
    Shadowing experience
    Lot's of extracurricular (holds executive positions in 4 organizations)
    Student Government
    Good Letters of Recommendation including from this summer's reseach advisor.

but... 23 on the MCAT. Did it only once and that was this August.
    Had already sent out AMCAS (July).
    Have secondaries from Harvard, Duke, Tufts, UPenn, PennState,GW,JHU, Yale, UConn.
    Should I bother sending the secondaries out?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you should try to retake the mcat.

If you received a secondary from a school that screens then you can send it back. But if you received one from a school that doesn't screen (i.e..harvard) then I say don't waste your money sending it back.

4. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

well as far as I know, Duke screens and i got one from them, should I send?

5. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

if i were in your position, i'd send them out to Tufts, PennState,GW, & UConn if i could afford it but start preparing for the april mcat. although you're a long shot based on the mcat, it sounds like you have a lot of other great things on your app so might be considered. good luck!

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi and glad to have you on SDN,
    That's a tough break. I feel badly for you.

Should you still apply? I would say yes. You have already started the process and can't that money back. The money you will be out now is the secondaries. It my humble opinion I would say finish the process for this year. If you get lucky and get interviews then try to use that time to impress the heck out of them and you may get in.

If that doesn't happen then you will know you will more than likely have to take the April MCAT.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amy

7. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't think duke screens. i am not sending my secondary in to them as it is rather nightmarish and don't have a decent shot at getting in. to be honest, i think you're wasting your time sending in the secondary to them.

8. marakah2

marakah2 Member
    7+ Year Member

my advisor always said that admissions coms are looking for signs of maturity, and that deciding to retake the MCAT shows that you are mature.

if i were in your position I would take it in april, and apply as soon as possible, i.e. get your primary done in june, finish all secondaries by aug. that really makes a difference. that is what i did and have all of my interviews done except one which is next week.

it will put you in a better position to get admitted, and that is what schools will look at--that you waited until your chances were better.

if they ask why you waited, say that-its better than wasting money or going to a school that you don't want because your mcat was low. since, if you apply now and get into a place you can't apply again.

9. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

sadgirl, don't be sad :rolleyes: look up ...

MCAT is overrated, especially on this board. YOu can definitely get in with those, especially since you have the female thing going for you. Just address the issue (send a letter) or ask an adcom something (advice). You have the total app besides that ... and you are already well into the process. Go for it, I say. But don't be stupid and apply to schools where you think you have NO chance---selectivity, I say. You can get in.

Gumshoe

10. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

honestly, I wouldn't apply if i were you...you already spent money on amcas but to add those schools the secondary...cost is too mcuh and most likely the scores are too low for the caliber of schools you want to enter.

plus some of them won't let you apply more than twice so don't waste this one if you don't get in next time too.

for the top tier schools its better to have at least average mcat scores...i would think that would be at least an 8 or above on all the sections.

sorry about your score...you're on the right track though..good luck

11. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE!!

Send in your secondaries to all of the schools that you can financially afford(triage if necessary, for example definitely apply to UCONN and your state schools). Look at the big picture, even if you invest another $300 for this year, is that going to make a difference over the year? That's a dollar a day.

Furthermore, What's the worst thing that can happen? Rejection from all of the schools?

Besides, even if you don't get in this year, next year's application will be STRENGTHENED by applying this year. ADCOM's love perseverance. How are they going to ask you, "if you don't get in this year, what will you do?" If you don't apply this year? You can show motivation for medicine by applying, rather than sitting on the sidelines. Sitting on the sidelines is passive. You have to be a GO-GETTER.

More importantly, MCAT is only a fraction of your application. Your research and gpa is solid. Don't sell yourself short. If you don't apply this year, you will always wonder "WHAT IF?"

It is better to try, and find the consequences, than NOT TO TRY AT ALL.

I am willing to bet anyone here, that if you apply selectively than you will get in somewhere.

12. johnstoner

7+ Year Member

well you know when people give you encouragement its a good thing...but I just want you to know that there are times to be realistic and a time to be optimistic. There is no pessimism here so don't feel bad.

I do know that If i had that score...I would say..."man i know i can do better" If i apply now to say my state school...(Univ. of Hawaii) and got in with my 23 but i know that I could get say a 33 or something...which would have been good for maybe who knows...Cornell...I would feel bad that I didn't apply when i had my **** together.

my advisor said apply only when you know that your application is the best it can be...you are probably still young right? wait it out and give it your best because honestly it is all about you...not those people who give you encourage whom actually on the side have like a 35 on their mcat witha 3.9 gpa who says you have a chance when actually you do have a chance but i might be wiser to wait

13. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

A future patient doesn't give a rat's *ss if you went to UCONN or Harvard. Neither does a good doctor.

If you truly want to be a doctor, a HARVARD or Chicago Med by any other name smells just as sweet.

14. marakah2

marakah2 Member
    7+ Year Member

while i think it is true that in the future an MD is an MD, i think there are definite advantages to different schools-in terms of grant money available for research opportunities, money avail. for study abroad trips/rotations, and quality of the facility/library etc.

i think that all of the above things matter, at least to some extent

15. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life
    10+ Year Member

My honest opinion:

You are applying to some tough schools. I think you should retake also. Yes, your mcat is only a part of your application but I disagree that it is only a "fraction" of the whole. The MCAT, whether we like it or not, is a huge part of the application, albeit it is a "part".

Look at me for instance. I took the mcat in 2000 and didnt study hardly at all for it. At the time I thought I studied enough, but this year I studied more in 1 week that I did that whole year. Needless to say in 2000 my mcat was below yours. I didn't apply and was emotionally crushed.

I took a few years off and at one point even forgot about med school. Then a fire was lit up under my ass and I was a study animal. The second time I took it this august I scored a 29. Not a great score for many but an excellent score for me.

I have been accepted to my first choice this year. The hard work and retaking paid off. I am sorry if this is not the answer or message you had hoped for. I wish someone had pulled me aside and given me a little guidance my first time around. I say retake it and show all the schools that no one and no test can keep you down. Go for it!!!

16. johnstoner

7+ Year Member

i concur with tryinagain...and a school is not a school as long as you get an MD...if thats the case then whats all the fuss about the carribean schools huh?

I have a feeling you want to go to a top school so follow my advice as well as many of the other rational folks here and wait it out...

the mcat is a big deal whether or not people want it not to be. it is a part of the equation but a big part.

think of this year as a breather and work on mcats but also try to pick up a new hobby or something... i'm taking a breather this year...b/c i graduated this may and I'm trying to go scuba diving at least once a month here on hawaii

okay thats my 2 cents.

:)