Should I still consider pre-med?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wingy, Mar 24, 2001.

1. wingy

wingy Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, it has been a year and a half now that I have been pre-med, but I am getting discouraged from following that route because my gpa is not too great right now. Right now I am a second year going into my last quarter and it seems impossible to bring up my gpa since I am almost done with all the pre-med requisites. (My gpa is between 3.0 and 3.5) Should I still continue the pre-med path or look to other options?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. If you really want to go to med school, then don't let less than stellar grades stop you. You still have time to bring your GPA up. "Between a 3.0 and a 3.5" is a pretty vague description, but many applicants fall into this range (including me). Many schools list the average GPA of their accepted students around a 3.5, but remember that means AVERAGE. There were many students who had below that. Grades are only one factor of many that adcoms look at. If you get a high MCAT score, good letters of rec, and lots of extra curriculars, you shouldn't have a problem. Just do some research to choose schools where you think you'll be the most successful.

------------------
    Amy
    University of Rochester, class of 2001

4. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You have a long way to go, and if you get stuck now with a few grades maybe medicine isn't the best carreer choice for you after all. You are at the beginning of a long road, so take your time and stay strong for there is much to come.

5. Only you can make that decision. You still have two full semesters ahead of you before you apply, and you have your senior year after that if your GPA still isn't high enough. What is more, as the previous poster said, your GPA may not even be a hindrance with a solid MCAT and good extracurriculars. My advice: never give up as long as you still want to be a doctor someday.

6. 4thHorseman

4thHorseman Junior Member

For what it's worth, medical schools are very receptive to positive trends in one's GPA. I know a lot of people (myself included) who bottomed out freshman and/or sophomore year, but then regrouped, improved their GPA and were accepted at great schools. Furthermore, a strong MCAT score will help you convince admisions committees that you have learned how to manage your studies and are capable of performing well in medical school.

Good luck and stick with it!

7. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hang in there wingy,

If your not sure about pre-med, maybe you should switch your major to something else you're also interested in, and keep up on your pre-med courses as well. Then apply, and if you don't get in, you can always do something involving the degree you received from your university.