Jun 3, 2014
Hello there,

So I have an acceptance to DMU, however I have interviews scheduled at KCUMB, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, western U, MSUCOM, KCOM, Nova, and RVUCOM. My goal is to go to the school that fits me and has a good reputation/foundation (I heard DMU, KCUMB, and MSUCOM are among the best DO schools?). My question is which school(s) do you think I should still go interview to to make sure I make the right decision? I do not want to waste money to go to all these interviews. At the same time, I am afraid without going to these interviews I will miss out my chance to find a school that really fits me. Any opinions will be highly appreciated.

I want to make my decision ASAP so these interviews can go to one of you guys.

Thanks,

lyana

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
DMU is an amazing and very well established school....I would save the money and be happy with the acceptance. But of course, that is just my opinion.

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I believe DMU uses a traditional curriculum (one of the DMU students like @touchpause13 or @o'grady can correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd recommend interviewing somewhere that uses a different curriculum. I know RVU and KCU use similar curriculums, and are both very good schools. MSU is outstanding as well, though if you're not an in-state applicant, the 80k tuition is more than I would want to pay. I'd do a little research, see what schools have a curriculum you're interested in and are located somewhere that you'd like to live and interview at a few of those. DMU is a very good school, but imo if you've got multiple interviews I'd go to at least 1 or 2 just to make sure you're finding the best fit for you (assuming money isn't an issue).

Mar 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would attend interviews at the schools you think you would be most fit based on what you read on their website. If you don't like what you see, then I would save the cash. Of course there's a chance you might be swayed, but at the same time I feel like if you don't think you're fit based on what's online the chances of being swayed are slim. Of course tha'ts my opinion. Congrats on all of the II's and the acceptance :)

Reactions: tai9588

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
I was accepted to MSU and cancelled my remaining five interviews because it was my first choice. What is your state of residence?

MSUCOM is pretty amazing but really expensive if you are out of state! They do have the most research funding of the DO schools and a lot of established rotations. Michigan itself is extremely DO friendly as well.

I have heard DMU is pretty solid as well so I really don't think you could go wrong. If I were you I would only go on the interviews you could potentially see yourself attending over DMU.

kinzav

Pizza's our middle name!
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2014
Phoenix
Status
Medical Student
I would say RVU and ATSU SOMA are probably the schools that don't really matchup of your list. The rest I'd put all in the same boat, as great/established programs, pretty much. Personally, I'd go to all of the interviews. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of going to the interviews in comparison to the debt you're looking at in the near future, it's a drop in the bucket. These schools are all so different too. KCOM is super rural, got Florida on there, Cali, Arizona, some more Midwest... Very diverse options there. But, maybe more to your question, these schools are all well known for established methods that produce good doctors (aka can't go wrong).

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
I wasn't a fan of my SOMA interview for what it is worth.

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The only limiting factor, if it applies to you, is money. Are you hurting for cash (or time I suppose)? If not, then I would go. The pressure is off now and will make your interviews "more fun". The first thing I would do is write every single thing you can remember down about your DMU interview. After about three interviews, I started forgetting things about the previous schools. Not everything you want to know or have questions about will be in the packet or easily findable on the website. I would go to any school you're interested in. That includes for geographic or tuition reasons.

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
If you could see yourself going to any of those other schools over DMU I think you owe to yourself to go on the interview, you've worked hard! If not then kick back and relax until next year. DMU class of 2020....has a nice ring to it lol!

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
I am from Midwest. I am not interested in ATSU-SOMA much from what I heard, but heard good things from the other schools...which makes the decision so difficult. I think I can afford to go to them all but then I have MD interviews too...and it will be nice to be able to save some money.

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am from Midwest. I am not interested in ATSU-SOMA much from what I heard, but heard good things from the other schools...which makes the decision so difficult. I think I can afford to go to them all but then I have MD interviews too...and it will be nice to be able to save some money.
MD automatically takes 100% priority. Zero question.

Edit: I also interviewed at SOMA. You have to be really gung-ho about the CHC thing, if you question it at all, it isn't worth your time.

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
Just one man's opinion (I'm in a similar boat as you)
AZCOM and ATSOMA (Poor rotations and they are located in hell aka arizona),
RVU (newer school, dress code, less prestige than DMU)
MSU (80K tuition for OOS students, if you are in state then definitely go

Go to western because the west coast is the best coast
Go to KCUMB because it also has an excellent rep and you may like it more than DMU
Go to Nova if you like or would potentially like Florida
Go to KCOM because it is the oldest and a very prestigious school. Caveat I wouldn't go if you aren't ok with living in the middle of nowhere.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Go to KCUMB because it also has an excellent rep and you may like it more than DMU
Go to KCOM because it is the oldest and a very prestigious school. Caveat I wouldn't go if you aren't ok with living in the middle of nowhere.
I was about to say almost the same thing. If you have actual MD interview invites, I'd prioritize those; if you're just hoping to get them, I'd prioritize the interview at KCUMB if you want to stay in the midwest.

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
Ya I will go to all the MD interviews...which already cost me a lot...

I crossed out ATSU-SOMA and RVUCOM...Will go to KCUMB, AZCOM and Western U for sure for midwest. What you guys think I should do about KCOM and NOVA? I really heard good things about MSUCOM but the tuition is really suck...however if I can get better education there then I guess I can suck it up.

Jan 22, 2015
if i were midwest i would only go to kcumb (only if you you believe you want a bigger city and its demographics), msucom (only if you are instate, oos is 80k tuition), and western pomona (if you like socal). maybe azcom if you can handle the heat of phoenix. dmu is definitely a top DO school, hoping to get an acceptance there.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2015
How about KCOM and NOVA?
this is my opinion on these schools. kcom is a good school, but it is basically in the middle of nowhere in a town with 17k people. nova also a good school in south florida, but you don't want to feel 90F 80%+ humidity weather; it is much worse compared to phoenix's 105 degree 10% humidity weather. dmu is like a 10 minute walk to a downtown of a mid sized city that has 4 seasons.

also remember dmu is like the cheapest private DO in terms of both tuition aswell as cost of living.

Reactions: PKA<0 and tai9588

kinzav

Pizza's our middle name!
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2014
Phoenix
Status
Medical Student
How about KCOM and NOVA?
i go to KCOM. Good things are: it's cheap to live here, and you don't have to worry about the curriculum being bad. Bad things are: it's 1.5 hours to Columbia (good college/city type area) and 3.5 to st. louis, and not a lot of great food options (one good asian place, couple good mexican, and alright american options, tho we have a bunch of fast food options). Honestly, I'd say don't go on "reputation" among your list, go where you want to live and rotate. Just my 2 cents.

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
So here is what I have so far:
I will cancel ATSU-SOMA, MSUCOM, and RVUCOM.
I will still go to KCUMB, AZCOM, Western U, KCOM, and NOVA. I like to be warm...so hence AZCOM, Western U, and NOVA...but a good education is still my priority.

What you all think?

Jan 22, 2015
So here is what I have so far:
I will cancel ATSU-SOMA, MSUCOM, and RVUCOM.
I will still go to KCUMB, AZCOM, Western U, KCOM, and NOVA. I like to be warm...so hence AZCOM, Western U, and NOVA...but a good education is still my priority.

What you all think?
seems like quite a bit of money and time to invest, but have fun interviewing knowing you already have an acceptance.

Dec 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm holding an acceptance to AZCOM, rotations seem quite good there now, and they match well. But it is also 20k per year more than DMU... Just sayin

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
I am from midwest so it will not cost as much to go to interview at AZCOM and western U. but yes these two schools are expensive...but then I can stay warm:)
I'm holding an acceptance to AZCOM, rotations seem quite good there now, and they match well. But it is also 20k per year more than DMU... Just sayin

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am from midwest so it will not cost as much to go to interview at AZCOM and western U. but yes these two schools are expensive...but then I can stay warm:)
Wat? If you're actually in the midwest then RVU, KCU, and KCOM would be your cheapest options. Western and AZCOM are both 'west' in my book.

Anyway, here's my list for order of things to consider:

1. Fit. Go where you'll be happy and where you think you'll learn the best. There are some great schools out there that I'd never choose to attend because the curriculum just doesn't fit my learning style. Make sure you're going to succeed otherwise nothing else will really matter.

2. School rep/location. Where do you want to end up in residency or practicing? If you want to stay in the midwest, it'll be easier to get a residency and practice there if you go to school there. That's simply because residency programs are familiar with nearby schools and it's easier to make connections early on.

3. Money. When all else is equal, take the cheaper option. This is part of why it's hard for me to advocate oos people going to MSU. It's a great school, but with only tuition being 82k/ year it makes it tough not to go places that are literally half the price...

I can't speak to all of the programs on your list, but I'd recommend interviewing at 3-4 if you've also got MD interviews. I enjoy being at KCU, so I'm biased there, but the curriculum is solid, we have a good reputation and it's fairly priced. MSU is expensive. A lot of people like KCOM, but it's very rural and from what I've heard if you don't like OMM or think it's dumb you probably won't like it as I've heard they have a lot of OMM lab. RVU is also solid if you want to be near Denver. Despite being new, it's most recent match list was pretty impressive and they have put out very strong board averages. Idk much about Western, the AZ schools, or NOVA so I'll let other people advise on those. Congrats though and good luck with the decisions!

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
My bad, I meant I am from West Coast....in my delirious mode...:(

Thank you for your all feedbacks.

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was accepted to MSU and cancelled my remaining five interviews because it was my first choice. What is your state of residence?

MSUCOM is pretty amazing but really expensive if you are out of state! They do have the most research funding of the DO schools and a lot of established rotations. Michigan itself is extremely DO friendly as well.

I have heard DMU is pretty solid as well so I really don't think you could go wrong. If I were you I would only go on the interviews you could potentially see yourself attending over DMU.
The most research funding seems to be from RowanSOM, not MSUCOM. Maybe every school kind of says they're the best but nobody really knows?

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student

When people say this are they referring to in comparison to the list provided by the OP? or am I just crazy? I have heard people reference KCOM as being the oldest osteopathic university several times around this forum board, but in my book of osteopathic medicine, as well as Wikipedia states that A.T. Still - COM is the first osteopathic school established and is still running.

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
The most research funding seems to be from RowanSOM, not MSUCOM. Maybe every school kind of says they're the best but nobody really knows?
I was going off of what was presented at the interview day and on US News and World Report. I'm sure every school likes to brag but the fact that MSU is a large public school would make me believe they have the research dollars to back it up.

I just checked out Rowan and their website says they have, "$12.5 million in research and extramural funding including funding from National Institutes of Health (NIH)."

MSUCOM's website talked about research funding from the NIH around $56 million.

I'm not into research that much anyway so it isn't a big deal to me either way. OP has II's to a lot of great schools and I don't believe they will go wrong no matter where they decide to interview or not!

Jan 22, 2015
When people say this are they referring to in comparison to the list provided by the OP? or am I just crazy? I have heard people reference KCOM as being the oldest osteopathic university several times around this forum board, but in my book of osteopathic medicine, as well as Wikipedia states that A.T. Still - COM is the first osteopathic school established and is still running.
KCOM = kirksville com = at still at kirksville = at still - com (the original)
the other one is atsu-soma (arizona) but it's usually just called atsu-soma

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was going off of what was presented at the interview day and on US News and World Report. I'm sure every school likes to brag but the fact that MSU is a large public school would make me believe they have the research dollars to back it up.

I just checked out Rowan and their website says they have, "$12.5 million in research and extramural funding including funding from National Institutes of Health (NIH)."

MSUCOM's website talked about research funding from the NIH around $56 million.

I'm not into research that much anyway so it isn't a big deal to me either way. OP has II's to a lot of great schools and I don't believe they will go wrong no matter where they decide to interview or not!
Perhaps...they're always competing lol

Last edited:

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
KCOM = kirksville com = at still at kirksville = at still - com (the original)
the other one is atsu-soma (arizona) but it's usually just called atsu-soma
Oh, my bad. I see! Hahaha.

frenchyn

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2012
Status
I have interviews to these schools too so I am interested to know W19 and Giovanotto's rationales

Last edited:

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nice campus... Great school... good rotation sites in south FL. I used to live close the school and I have a friend who graduated there (doing IM in TX now) and he told me he had a great experience.

Jan 22, 2015
Nice campus... Great school... good rotation sites in south FL. I used to live close the school and I have a friend who graduated there (doing IM in TX now) and he told me he had a great experience.
compared to the rest of the IIs and acceptance he has you can say that for all the other schools. also, it doesn't seem convincing enough to buy, most likely, the most expensive plane ticket out of all his IIs to visit a school a whole country away from his home.

Giovanotto

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
LMAO...Your status said you are already accepted....
Right, but I'm still (hopefully) interviewing at other schools. One can have multiple acceptances right? That's an ideal scenario. Don't get me wrong though, it is nice to already have been accepted this early at one school.

OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
Right, but I'm still (hopefully) interviewing at other schools. One can have multiple acceptances right? That's an ideal scenario. Don't get me wrong though, it is nice to already have been accepted this early at one school.
Lol nothing is wrong with that. I still go to DOs as well as MDs to make sure I pick the right school.

AM508

2+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
...A lot of people like KCOM, but it's very rural and from what I've heard if you don't like OMM or think it's dumb you probably won't like it as I've heard they have a lot of OMM lab....
We have ~4 hours of OMM per week. This seems pretty comparable to other schools I where I interviewed :shrug:. Thus far, I wouldn't say it has been a significant burden overall.

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We have ~4 hours of OMM per week. This seems pretty comparable to other schools I where I interviewed :shrug:. Thus far, I wouldn't say it has been a significant burden overall.
I'd say we average about 2 hours per week at my school. 4 hours is a lot in one week for us and some weeks we don't have OMM at all. I don't think 4 hours is really that much, but for a person that doesn't like OMM I could see it getting pretty annoying. Then again, I wouldn't be advocating that person go to a DO school.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello there,

So I have an acceptance to DMU, however I have interviews scheduled at KCUMB, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, western U, MSUCOM, KCOM, Nova, and RVUCOM. My goal is to go to the school that fits me and has a good reputation/foundation (I heard DMU, KCUMB, and MSUCOM are among the best DO schools?). My question is which school(s) do you think I should still go interview to to make sure I make the right decision? I do not want to waste money to go to all these interviews. At the same time, I am afraid without going to these interviews I will miss out my chance to find a school that really fits me. Any opinions will be highly appreciated.

I want to make my decision ASAP so these interviews can go to one of you guys.

Thanks,
I would not waste my time with RVU, its a for profit, you might want to try out for MSU and KCUMB. ATSU SOMA and AZCOM (where I go) are great schools too, if you can handle living in a place like Des Moines, go for DMU.

Nova is another great school, a friend of mine is there, the campus is the best of all the DO schools.

Reactions: frenchyn
OP
T
Jun 3, 2014
I would not waste my time with RVU, its a for profit, you might want to try out for MSU and KCUMB. ATSU SOMA and AZCOM (where I go) are great schools too, if you can handle living in a place like Des Moines, go for DMU.

Nova is another great school, a friend of mine is there, the campus is the best of all the DO schools.
I will withdraw from MSU too unfortunately cuz the OOS tuition, but the school itself sounds very promising.

kinzav

Pizza's our middle name!
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2014
Phoenix
Status
Medical Student
I'd say we average about 2 hours per week at my school. 4 hours is a lot in one week for us and some weeks we don't have OMM at all. I don't think 4 hours is really that much, but for a person that doesn't like OMM I could see it getting pretty annoying. Then again, I wouldn't be advocating that person go to a DO school.
I don't think much of OMM (at least as a medical procedure) and I really don't mind the labs. You get someone giving you some massages and a professor talking about really easy material. The grading is super easy too, so it's not really a subject that adds much pressure to your workload.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think much of OMM (at least as a medical procedure) and I really don't mind the labs. You get someone giving you some massages and a professor talking about really easy material. The grading is super easy too, so it's not really a subject that adds much pressure to your workload.
Most people do not think much of OMM. There are a few schools that make a really big deal out of it though.

Sep 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I will withdraw from MSU too unfortunately cuz the OOS tuition, but the school itself sounds very promising.
Don't withdraw just yet, wait to see if they offer you a tuition equalization scholarship which I know they give out to some OOS students to bring tuition in line with the IS rate.

The Best Psychiatrist

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Status
Medical Student
How do you fund yourself going to all these interviews? I'm already bankrupt from primary and secondary fees. And I still have to pay for travel and hotel, etc. I'm worried.

Reactions: Giovanotto