Should I still pursue medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am at a crossroad in life. maybe not crossroads, just lost.

I am 29 this year. I am from Singapore, where the bulk of doctors undergo their medical education as undergraduate. I had previously applied to Duke-NUS three times. I was interviewed for the first two times, but not the last.

When I didn't get the third interview (for 2016 class), I thought that my chances of being a doctor are pretty much it, especially since I was thinking of starting a family in a few years time. At that time, I was toying with an idea to help people improve their health by changing behaviour and facilitating healthy habits, so I decided to startup. I won't go into details, but that obviously didn't work out.

I just ended my startup attempt and is looking for a job. However, I don't know what I want to do. I do have some options, but nothing that I really foresee myself in for the long term. This led me back to my original aspiration to become a doctor.

I have two main worries. 1) The earliest I can apply for in the 2018 class, but it will be more realistic to aim for the 2019 class, but I would be 31 years old. The opportunity cost of 4 years of education and the terrible working hours of junior doctors, I worry that this will greatly hinder my desire to settle down with my long-term girlfriend. 2) A medicine professor invited me to apply to a position on a research project he is working on. This would be my best option if I was to pursue medicine again, as I could possibly get a recommendation letter, as well as relevant research experience. However, I worry about what happens next if I do not get into medicine.

Hence I am here, seeking the collective wisdom of the like-minded intelligent folks to help me with my decision. All help and support will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1) You're not too old. But I think you need to decide whether you want to be a doctor, and if you do, you need to commit to the decision. If you're wishy-washy about your decision that may come across on your applications.
Your planning would include a discussion with your girlfriend about whether she is OK to get married and/or have kids while you are still a student or resident.
2) I don't see the drawbacks of this. If you decide not to go into medicine, you'll have research experience and will be a better candidate when applying to future research assistant jobs, if you decide to.

Sorry for the late reply, had been away without internet.

1) I know 31 isn't exactly old to start med school. My concern is my age when settling down. For example, I will likely be 36 years old (31 + 4 years at + 1 year of houseman) before I can have a kid. My gf definitely doesn't want to have kids so late, and is already hinting me to settle down.

2) The costs (or opportunity cost) are also quite large, $200k for school fees, $250k for half a house, and $250k in lost income. I understand that I might be able to make the money back, but I would be knee deep in debt for the next 10-15 years. And in Singapore, it's very costly to bring up a kid, which definitely don't help matters.

3) I did not see a future in the research assistant (RA) position because:
  • It isn't what I want to do.
  • There are very limited opportunities in Singapore for RAs, as the research community is really small here.
  • Many RAs are PHD students. I, who do not have a degree in life/biomedical sciences literally have zero career progression.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice to you is this:

How much do you want to be a doctor?
Take some time and do some soul-searching. Decide for yourself, because ONLY YOU can really decide.
Success in something is 80% the desire to push yourself to do it. If you give up, no one can help you to succeed.
If you give up and you really wanted that goal completed, you will regret not working towards it.

Do you like being around people? Do you like the science? Do you enjoy studying? Are you willing to put in the time and effort?
Will you be able to withstand many more years of school?

Do you want to get married immediately or do you want to hold off? Yes, you can be married and going to medical school, but it isn't easy.
You can look on some forum threads for it. There are several married people who successfully made it through. It will be trying and you and your girlfriend are going to have to talk it over.

Is there another science (or nonscience) career that you may like as well, or possibly more than medicine?
Are you only taking medicine because of your family? I see a lot of people on here who do that.

Look at all the possibilities from every angle. Obviously you have to work eventually.
Consider jobs that you could be content with doing.

I hope for the best for you.

I don't have any sage advice but just wanted you to know you're not alone, I am also 29 looking to apply in 2018 or 2019. Applying to med school at this age is nerve-wracking because it's a time when most of our peers are having kids and settling down. It's especially disheartening when your s/o and in-laws are pressuring you to have kids. So I feel you. But if it's really your dream, I say go for it.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why did you only apply to Duke? Did you perform poorly at the interviews? Are there major holes in your application that you could spend this year correcting?
Best of luck to you. I hope you find some answers.