Should I still send out my primary for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my MCAT 2 weeks ago and I have pretty much finished majority of my application and have gotten enough LOR's. My MCAT score will be out in less than 2 weeks. My original plan is that if my MCAT score is high enough (like 35ish) then I'll send out my primary immediately. My GPA is slightly below the averages and my EC's are somehow decent (leadership, clinical research, hospital volunteer, shadowing, tutor, etc). But most of the people I've talked to told me not to apply for this cycle because it's already too late and it will hurt me in a long run (how?). I, however, don't mind going to a lower-tier MD school at all. I am going to be a 4th year as an undergraduate and I want to avoid taking a year off for some personal reason. Should I still apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely apply right now if you don't care what school you get into. Many people get invites from October through March and still get accepted. If the med school you get into doesn't matter, then definitely stop listening to everyone and go ahead and apply right now. If you're weary, apply to only 1 school for your app to get verified and then add more when you get your mcat score back.