1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

should i still send the letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AbujaMan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. AbujaMan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so i have a couple of preinterview holds and wanted to send the schools an update with my fall grades and plans for next semester. the only problem is that this semester was my least amount of credits but i messed up in one class. i got a b+ in what should have been a stupid lab course but the teacher wasnt the greatest. the reason that this is a problem is that otherwise i have a 4.0 science gpa. this b+ ruined it. now i dont know what to do. im majorly pissed off with losing my 4.0 science gpa and now if i send these schools an update it will end up being worse! what should i do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AbujaMan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was thinking of sending a letter of interest and not mention the grades. do you think that would still be ok? Could i get away with my next semester plans and a letter of interest without my fall grades?

#2 AbujaMan, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. What up doc

What up doc FLASH
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

chill out my dude...if your gpa is already a 3.8+, then grades are not the reason why you are pre-interview holds and sending another transcript will most likely not help you in any way. i would think that it wouldnt hurt you either, but then again, if I were on an adcomm and an applicant with a 3.9 sent me an update with another 3.9, i would think this person is a gunner and is obessesed with grades. so it's youre call if you want to send it, but I honestly do not think it will help you, at all.

i think the LOI depends on the school you are sending it to. for instance, if you are pre-interview hold at penn, based on what has been said on theses boards, a LOI will do zilch. im not quite so sure how it works at other schools, but i would think that more selective schools would not really care how interested you were them if they havent invited you for an interview. harsh as it sounds, if they arent interested in you, i dont think theyd care if you were interested in them :cool: it is my understanding that LOIs are best if you are on a WL or consider yourself a borderline applicant post-interview. and this really only applies to schools who traditionally value such correspondence. at any rate, i do not think a LOI will in any way, shape or form have a negative impact on your application. so if it will help assauge your obvious neuroticism (dont worry oga, i got it too ;)), go ahead. otherwise, just wait and chill, because a lot of schools still have invites to send out. gl!

5. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you did something significant in your life, like having research published or something, it's just a waste of time for everyone involved.

6. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would send only things that make me look like a better applicant, so no need to share grades. On the other hand, I agree that there is a low chance of it helping if the school has not seemed favorable to that kind of correspondence