Should I still take the MCAT on the 17th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Martins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice.. I've been studying since January for the MCAT this month, and have not been able to get above a 27 on a practice test. Here is a breakdown of my scores:

Kap diagnostic - 17
Kap 1 - 22
Kap 2 - 24
Kap 3 - 23
Kap 4 - 27
AAMC 3R - 25
Kap 7 - 26

I'm graduating this year and really wanted to take the test in April so I can keep up with the application process. Is there still chance for improvement in a week and a half?? I figure it's worth a try to see how I do... any suggestions??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, do you really think you would do better by waiting until August? That is the question that you have to answer. If you your other stats and extracurrics are good, a 27 might get you in. I know a girl with a 26 who has 4 acceptances (not a URM).

Do you really want to continue to study for the MCAT all throughout the summer? I would be afraid of burning out and then doing worse on August. Good luck.

Your scores are ok. Just keep practising keeping in mind that the MCAT wants the best answer.

I don't know anything that can revolutionize your regimen or performance, but try to get a conceptual understanding of the sciences and you are guaranteed at least a 10 here. Also learn to avoid naughty mistakes. Miss a question because you don't know it, not because of mistakes.

For the VR section get the Ek strategies book for verbal. It is very helpful for those of us struggling with VR and it shouldn't take you more than a week to get done with, even 2 days.

Still take the test, I will suggest.

I'd take it, even just for practice. You can always void it that day if you felt it didn't go very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by UCLAstudent
I'd take it, even just for practice. You can always void it that day if you felt it didn't go very well.

One's feelings about the test on test day are not a good indicator of one's score. Some people feel it went badly yet still score well. Others feel great but are surprised by their low scores.

You void if
a) you are sick, completely freaked out, or have other major physical/emotional stuff going on, or
b) your practice test scores in the 2 weeks before the MCAT are way below your minimum target score (e.g. 20 vs. 30). You know you are not going to miraculously improve 10 points. You take the test for practice and void.

With your scores, you are not going to see dramatic improvement in 2 weeks (+10). But you might get 3 to 5 points if you stay focused and relaxed.

I think if you do the right things like do a lot of practice you should be fine. Your on the right track I mean it's not like your in the teens or anything. I dunno about a crazy improvement but it is possible if you work for it. I'd say go with it. Good luck!

Originally posted by MeowMix
One's feelings about the test on test day are not a good indicator of one's score. Some people feel it went badly yet still score well. Others feel great but are surprised by their low scores.

You void if
a) you are sick, completely freaked out, or have other major physical/emotional stuff going on, or
b) your practice test scores in the 2 weeks before the MCAT are way below your minimum target score (e.g. 20 vs. 30). You know you are not going to miraculously improve 10 points. You take the test for practice and void.

With your scores, you are not going to see dramatic improvement in 2 weeks (+10). But you might get 3 to 5 points if you stay focused and relaxed.

Good point... the tests that I've felt the worst about have ended up being my best scores.

Thanks for your advice everyone.. I am going to take it and try my best. I have accepted the fact that I'm not a genius.. :laugh:

I'm in a similar situation as you are. Had a hard time studying this semester due to an emotional event, but did my best to study nontheless. In the last weeks, I broke it down like this, I do complete review of a section from the TPR Book all day, just rereading. Then next day, I will take 2 practice tests in that section plus a verbal (for practice). I have done this for PS thus far, and have scored 9-10 today on TPR Diags and the 3R PS sections (didn't like the passages on the 3R). (Impreved from a 4 the first time I took a diag) Review Bio and Orgo Tom, Bio and Orgo 2-3 passages on fri. Sat, full 6R test. Next Tuesday, and Thurs, take 4R and 7R, rest of the days do practice sections. Hopefully, I will be at least in the 9-10 range in each section, giving me a score of somewhere between 27-30 on the real test.
If I get below a 29, I will retake in AUG. Wish me luck...

P.S. I find making an organized plan helps, at least for myself.

take the AAMC 6 under almost EXACT test conditions... this is the best indicator of your score.
it was actually the exact same scoire as i got on the real test.
if you like your score then, you can act accordingly.

brodaiga said:
I'm in a similar situation as you are. Had a hard time studying this semester due to an emotional event, but did my best to study nontheless. In the last weeks, I broke it down like this, I do complete review of a section from the TPR Book all day, just rereading. Then next day, I will take 2 practice tests in that section plus a verbal (for practice). I have done this for PS thus far, and have scored 9-10 today on TPR Diags and the 3R PS sections (didn't like the passages on the 3R). (Impreved from a 4 the first time I took a diag) Review Bio and Orgo Tom, Bio and Orgo 2-3 passages on fri. Sat, full 6R test. Next Tuesday, and Thurs, take 4R and 7R, rest of the days do practice sections. Hopefully, I will be at least in the 9-10 range in each section, giving me a score of somewhere between 27-30 on the real test.
If I get below a 29, I will retake in AUG. Wish me luck...

P.S. I find making an organized plan helps, at least for myself.
Good luck with your studies... I wish I could have such a structured regimen.. but it seems that no matter how much I try to have a structure to what I'll study each day, I'm all over the place.

I'd go for it - you've been studying so long and hard already! What would you do if you postponed the test until August - keep studying until then, or take a break and start all over again?