should I still wait???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I would really appreciate your feedbacks.

I got into a MSTP program at a unranked school, which is located in a rural area. I also got waitlisted for a MD program at a ranked school, which is located in a big city. This school offers the opportunity to transfer into MSTP later on. I have two options:

1. just committ to the unranked school and be happy

2. wait for the decision from the ranked school and try to transfer into MDPhD later on.

I would really like to do a MDPhD and stay in a big city. But, to do that, I have to forgo something that is guranteed.

I know reputation of med schools matter when applying for residency, etc., but I heard, for MD/PhD students, this is less of an issue. Is this true?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by canadian
hi,

I would really appreciate your feedbacks.

I got into a MSTP program at a unranked school, which is located in a rural area. I also got waitlisted for a MD program at a ranked school, which is located in a big city. This school offers the opportunity to transfer into MSTP later on. I have two options:

1. just committ to the unranked school and be happy

2. wait for the decision from the ranked school and try to transfer into MDPhD later on.

I would really like to do a MDPhD and stay in a big city. But, to do that, I have to forgo something that is guranteed.

I know reputation of med schools matter when applying for residency, etc., but I heard, for MD/PhD students, this is less of an issue. Is this true?

Thanks

canadian,

Unless the MD will be from Hopkins, Harvard, Wash U, Yale, etc..., I highly recommend you go for the MSTP funding. MSTP is prestigious in itself. MSTP graduates, regardless of where they go to school, generally do well in the match. Furthermore, if the MD will be from a top ranked program, then go for the MD and then do an unfunded MD-PhD program. There's funding available for the PhD portion and your lab may pick up the expense your final year; thus, you'll only be paying for the first two years of medical school. Good luck!