Should I study for the MCAT this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioPsychotic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I just joined and it's nice to meet you all! My decision to enter medicine has been full of ups and downs, but I love this field and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I wanted to ask the members of this forum about whether I should study for the MCAT this summer (i.e. intense prep).

Some background on me. I'm finishing up my third year in college and my GPA sits just above 3.0 currently; science GPA sub-3.0. I know that these numbers are horribly low. Chemistry has always been a struggle for me due to the difficulty of the subject & my not studying enough for it. I'm in Orgo II currently however and I have really shaped up my studying habits, so this semester is looking pretty good. I am confident that this semester & next year I can improve my GPA.

This summer, I'll be taking 2 classes. One writing course I need to graduate and I'm retaking gen chem II as I got a D in it freshman year.

My advice is: Should I use this summer to begin preparing for the MCAT? I will be taking biochem & physics 1 in the fall, so I'd be preparing for it without those classes. Our orgo 2 class incorporated some biochem material but no doubt there's more I need to learn.

On one hand, I'm thinking that it's too early as I haven't taken 2 prerequisite classes yet. On the other hand, I know that this test score (combined with an upward trajectory) is going to be absolutely critical in order for me to have any chance at med school. While I know that improving my grades is the #1 priority, I'll still have ~3-4 months this summer with only 2 classes to take and limited ability to shadow or volunteer due to the virus.

I planned on self-studying and then assessing where I'm at in August. If I feel ready, I can register for & take a September test. If not, I can hold off until later.

I'm planning to apply in the 2021 cycle.

Thank you in advance for reading and I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Before you start thinking about taking the MCAT, you have to get your GPA up, especially in the sciences. You should finish biochemistry and all of physics before you start preparing for the MCAT. Rather than spending this summer studying intensely for the MCAT, you might consider studying biochemistry and physics 1 so that when the Fall rolls around, you start those classes ahead of the curve and ready to lock down some As.

The MCAT isn't going anywhere and will be waiting for you next summer. You should rethink applying next summer if you haven't significantly raised your GPA by Spring. The average AMCAS school matriculant is a 3.7 and you need make yourself more competitive.

Good luck on your journey.

Before you start thinking about taking the MCAT, you have to get your GPA up, especially in the sciences. You should finish biochemistry and all of physics before you start preparing for the MCAT. Rather than spending this summer studying intensely for the MCAT, you might consider studying biochemistry and physics 1 so that when the Fall rolls around, you start those classes ahead of the curve and ready to lock down some As.

The MCAT isn't going anywhere and will be waiting for you next summer. You should rethink applying next summer if you haven't significantly raised your GPA by Spring. The average AMCAS school matriculant is a 3.7 and you need make yourself more competitive.

Good luck on your journey.
You're absolutely right. Thank you so much for the advice!

I'd second what BerkReviewTeach said. If you haven't taken Physics I, does that mean you also haven't taken Physics II? Because Physics II is one of the harder sections on the MCAT, and would be quite a bit harder to self teach. If you're applying to the 2021 cycle, then there's no need to take the MCAT until next summer (before mid-June at the latest). If you really have the time, I would incorporate some MCAT studying into your school year, just to get a head start before the grind really starts. However, don't study for the MCAT at the expense of your GPA; your number one priority right now should be to bring that GPA up.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the pre-reqs first, especially if it's biochem and physics. I also had a rough GPA, sitting around 3.0 junior year too. I also did a post-bacc year though so I definitely agree that getting your GPA as high as possible first is the most important. I didn't start studying for the MCAT until after I had finished undergrad and a post-bacc, which helped me do much better when I took it and applied.

I'm considering doing the same thing as OP. I've got a 3.9 cGPA and sGPA, with physics 2 and biochem to go. I'm taking physics 2 this summer and biochem in the fall, so with the decreased commute and extra time on my hands, it feels like the perfect situation to begin doing MCAT review. I'm planning on using the TBR books and just focusing on the chapters and Phase 1 passages through the summer, Phase 2 during the fall, and then Phase 3 plus plus all other typical materials used during dedicated from December/January until MCAT exam time. It seems like a great plan to me, but what do you all think, especially @BerkReviewTeach, as I'll be using the TBR series.

I think stretching out the TBR materials in this way might be a great strategy, given how dense and involved the materials are reported to be, but maybe you will disagree. The way the phases are set up gives me the impression that content knowledge won't be lost over time since the difficulty of passages requires you to revisit the chapter content constantly. At any rate, it seems a bit silly to me to plan on waiting and dedicating 3-4 months to MCAT study, when I've got the extra time in my schedule to do some early review, create Anki cards, cover tons of CARS passages, and so forth. But I am far from an expert on MCAT prep and would love any insight from you all. Thanks for any help you can offer!