Should I submit a DO letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am submitting a packet of letters from my pre-med committee, and while I am also sending an MD LOR from a doc I shadowed with, I volunteer with a DO who apparently wrote me a great LOR, according to my adviser, should I send that to MD schools, even if it's from a DO? It wouldn't put my letter count over any limits.

Members don't see this ad.

I am submitting a packet of letters from my pre-med committee, and while I am also sending an MD LOR from a doc I shadowed with, I volunteer with a DO who apparently wrote me a great LOR, according to my adviser, should I send that to MD schools, even if it's from a DO? It wouldn't put my letter count over any limits.

Why would you submit a LOR from someone you shadowed at all?

"This fine young man was really good at watching me perform my job. He shows great promise to watch others in the future."

If it is a great LOR and you trust that DO has something considerable to say about your character - go ahead and send it as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is a great LOR and you trust that DO has something considerable to say about your character - go ahead and send it as well.
Oh yeah, he knows me very well, probably more so than the doc I shadowed.

Why would you submit a LOR from someone you shadowed at all?

"This fine young man was really good at watching me perform my job. He shows great promise to watch others in the future."
She offered to write it when I shadowed her, and I'm sure plenty of people get LOR from docs that they shadowed. We're not all placed in positions where we can just start picking and choosing letters of recommendation.

She offered to write it when I shadowed her, and I'm sure plenty of people get LOR from docs that they shadowed. We're not all placed in positions where we can just start picking and choosing letters of recommendation.

I witcha brotha :cool:

I would say a LOR from a DO, if you say your relationship is good with her/him, is a great LOR as long as the content is strong.

I'd say the letter from the doctor you volunteered with would be worth more to you than a letter from the doctor whom you shadowed.

DO/MD doesn't matter.